Skip to main content

I was married with a USC and i was under abuse, now i'm willing to apply for VAWA and I-485 concurrently, she only did submit th

Richardson, TX |

i was married with a USC and i was under abuse, now i'm willing to apply for VAWA and I-485 concurrently, she only did submit the I-130 when i was living with her, my question is: can i get a EAD if i Applied for fee waivers on I-485 due to my financial hardship ? or i have to pay the I-485 fees before getting the EAD, thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will only have your EAD if your I-765 is approved.
Just as an aside, what makes you think you will be granted a VAWA self-petition when you are in fact a man? In practical terms, while VAWA petitions are liberally granted fpr women, those are hardly ever approved for men, no matter how hard the "abuse "they suffer. I hope you have a good attorney who is advising you on this.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


Sr. Behar is quite correct. Only a very small percentage of men are granted VAWA ... I'm one of the few attorneys that has had success .... at great expense in terms of time, money and emotional stress. Meet with an attorney before filing anything.


Your plan is overly optimistic at best, thinking that you squarely qualify for VAWA relief without evidentiary support. Please consult another attorney in your area before you make a better legal opinion on how to proceed.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Meet with an attorney. These are very hard to win.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer