Skip to main content

I was married two years NO kids, Got divorced and signed a document to push through the divorce awarding my ex several k.

Medford, MA |

At the time I just wanted to get it over with. Both of us are under 30.... one in school one unemployed. NO kids no NO assets aquired during marriage. I personally have money in the bank from working 1099 jobs. She is in Grad school. I have not had the cash to pay the agreement now she is having me served. What is the worse case scenario of this?. I've considered to just avoid being served and let her keep paying to serve me. I paid most things when we were married and just decided to do whatever to get out. I came from a well off family that does not give away to their kids. Her family chased mine for money constantly. I'm not personally rich and as I understand you cannot get blood from a turnip
What will happen if I take the papers and show up in court with no income?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I refer you to the same answer I gave earlier, even if it was NOT what you wanted to hear.

    Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

  2. Without seeing your agreement and understanding the obligations you took on, it is impossible to advise you. I don't know what parts of your agreemement merged (are modifiable in the future) or did not merge and remained an indpendent binding contract (not modifiable). I don't know what obligations you claim you cannot pay. My best advoice is to consult an attorney. You cannot get the proper advice this way. You should take more time this time around to get the proper advice and act in yoiur best interest. Good luck.

    SDteve Coren,

    This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the facts presented. This answer is basd only on Massachusetts law.

  3. Without reviewing your agreement, it is hard to know whether you are in compliance.

    If you have money in the bank to satisfy your obligations under a divorce agreement, and you refuse to, you will be found in contempt of court and can face sanctions, including attorney's fees and other unpleasant punishment by the judge.

    Get an attorney and get this taken care of before a judge has the opportunity to consider the matter.

    Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at

  4. You will be ordered to pay what you agreed to pay as part of your divorce property settlement.

    This is an advertisement for legal services. No commentary on this website is intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by using this site.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics