I was married religiously in a Sikh temple will it be considered legal aswell? a certified priest stamped marriage cert.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

my wife and i separated she has our child is this marriage legal ? it would be under the HINDU MARRIAGE ACT OF 1955 would this apply to me and her we are born USA citizens both of the Sikh religion. can i use this to prove that i was married to her inorder to put my name on his birth record so that i can get custody/visitation

the marriage TOOK PLACE IN THE UNITED STATES AS WELL city of NEW YORK

The priest gave us a marriage certificate with our names on it and with his signature and his certified priests stamp on it saying he did this marriage . and about 100 other witnesses

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Religious ceremony without an official certificate of marriage does not make the marriage legal.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Did you get a marriage certificate from the County Clerk's office? If yes, then the religious ceremony is proper. You can got custody and or visitation even if you are not married providing you are the biological father of the child. You would need to file with the family court where the child is located. Consult with a local family law attorney to help yoy.

3. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Answered . Dear New York Spouse:

Marriages in New York State require a marriage license prior to the solemnization of the marriage in a religious ceremony.

See:
    http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4210/

New York City has its own special rules relating to the marriage license:

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/lice...