Skip to main content

I was married for 28 years to a man that hardly worked. We lived in his family owned house. we divorced and he moved letting me

Granite City, IL |

live in the house for 3 years without paying rent. I paid property taxes for 2 of those 3 years and also paid his truck insurance for the 3 years with no repayment to me for the insurance. I trusted him and did not get receipts from him for anything I paid. I left the house owning $900 to the power company. The power was in his name. Can he sue me in small claims court for the $900.00.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Either way the bill is in his name so he is responsible to the power company and they cannot go after you. If he wanted to collect on any bills owing he shoud have mentioned it in the divorce case. If your divorce papers do nt state that you are responsible for the utilities while you continue to live there then he really has no recourse.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

  2. He can try but if the power was in his name, he is ultimately responsible. If there is no court order requiring you to pay that bill, then your ex would be hard pressed to force you to pay it.

  3. You would be responsible for the bill. It appears that this bill was run up after the divorce by you. While it is in his name, you were the one that benefited from it. This is similar to the law school case where someone comes over to mow your lawn without you asking, and you sit there and watch. Then you refuse to pay. It is called Unjust Enrichment. However, there is no guarantees in court, and he may loses his case.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics