I was looking for someone to watch my dog for a couple hours while i was at work. my co workers wife offered to watch my dog.

Toledo, OH |

Co workers wife has a cat. I denied her to watch him saying I can’t promise he won’t eat your cat. Co workers wife said she has dealt with big dogs before and will make sure that won’t happen, and has an office where she can lock the cat up in until I pick my dog up. She says she went to go check on her cat after an hour passed since she put the cat in the office and when she went to check on her cat my dog barged in and attacked and killed her cat. Who is at fault?

1. It may not matter depending on the laws of your state. However, if the cat did not incur any vet bill, then there is nothing to claim.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

2. Since the wife had care, custody, and apparent control of your dog, I believe Ohio law would not hold you responsible. Her own negligence caused the problem. Poor cat. I think you should muzzle leash your dog anytime it is around strangers, children, and other animals. I am a dog lover myself.

3. In Ohio, the owner, keeper or harborer of a dog is strictly liable for damages and injuries caused by the dog. You are the owner, but she may be considered a keeper since she was taking care of the dog. However, you should turn it over to your home owners insurance to handle the claim. Also, you should consider your relationship with the coworker. Finally it sounds like you have a dangerous dog. You should take necessary measures to protect other people from it. Good luck.

I am a personal injury lawyer located in Dayton, Ohio. I am an experienced trial lawyer who represents injury victims against the insurance companies. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. I am not providing any legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of Ohio. You should contact an attorney for legal advice.