Skip to main content

I was just served foreclosure papers.

Berwyn, IL |

I was just served foreclosure papers. now what.. I know I have to go to court, but when shoulkd i get a lawyer invloved. thanks.
I will also be looking for an attorney specializing in this field.

Attorney Answers 6


This is an ideal time for you to consult with a foreclosure attorney. Reason being that an attorney can best assist you when he or she becomes involved in the case early. The summons tells you that you must answer or otherwise plead to the complaint within 30 days from service or be subject to a default judgment. An attorney can assist you with answering or filing a motion to dismiss to the complaint. Otherwise, your answer and defenses, and whether to file a motion to dismiss, will depend upon your individual circumstances and your loan. Provide your attorney with all closing documents, correspondence from the bank, and loan modification documents that you have. Our office is experienced in foreclosure defense and feel free to give us a call: (630) 575-8181.

The information in this answer is not intended as legal advice nor do I intend to create an attorney-client relationship with any reader simply by answering this question or contributing as a member of AVVO.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



Most attys are available for a free 15-30 minute consult. Get your papers together and GO to see one, Nao.


I specialize in this area. Please visit my site and read a blot post I wrote that may answer some of your questions:

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Hire an attorney now. A good attorney can litigate the case for up to three years while you remain in the property. Happy to discuss with you, free of charge.

J. Younes

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I encourage you to sit down with an attorney and all relevant documents to discuss, as soon as possible.

It may be that a motion should be filed at this stage, in lieu of an answer.

Does the plaintiff have standing to sue?

Was an acceleration notice sent (if required under the loan documents)?

Is this a Federal Housing Administration loan and, if so, has there been compliance with those requirements?

Are a copy of the note and a copy of the mortgage attached to the complaint?

Have there been any violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act?

Or the Truth in Lending Act?

If you are trying to work with the bank, that may affect how you are going to proceed in the foreclosure litigation.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Robert T. Kuehl
Kuehl Law, P.C.
Chicago, Illinois

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is important to consult with an experienced bankruptcy and foreclosure defense attorney as soon as possible. You need to discuss your goals, such as whether you want to remain in the house, and catch up in the payments, or just "buy time" and eventually move out. You can then decide whether bankruptcy, defending the foreclosure, short sale, or a combination of any of those are best for you.

In some situations, defending the foreclosure will accomplish the goal of seeing whether there are true "defenses", and getting additional time to stay in the property. In other cases, if you intend on catching up in the payments, a Chapter 13 bankruptcy can help.

It is best to set up a consultation with an attorney who can advise you on all of your options.

Daniel J. Winter

Any advice given is general in nature and cannot be relied upon until the client retains the attorney after a full interview and review of the facts of the situation. No attorney-client relationship exists until a retainer agreement is signed and fees are paid.

Mark as helpful


I agree. Especially with finding an attorney that knows foreclosure and bankruptcy law. Make sure you do this asap, and before a default judgment is entered. Good Luck.

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics