I was just served a private process saying that I have to go to court because I told my landlord that I wasn't paying my rent

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chattanooga, TN

There's been roaches and I don't feel like I owe them anything until they make my apartment habitable. Can they sue me

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Samuel Paul Helmbrecht

    Contributor Level 2

    Answered . If your rent is past due your landlord can file an detainer warrant against you. However, you have certain rights as a tenant under Tennessee's Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act (URLTA). I believe the act applies to Hamilton County but check with a local attorney. The landlord has an obligation to provide a fit and habitable residence. As such, you may have a defense to the action. I would recommend you contact a local attorney as you may be able to collect your attorney fees from the landlord if you are successful in proving that the landlord violated the URLTA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,770 answers this week

2,938 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,770 answers this week

2,938 attorneys answering