I was just served a private process saying that I have to go to court because I told my landlord that I wasn't paying my rent

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chattanooga, TN

There's been roaches and I don't feel like I owe them anything until they make my apartment habitable. Can they sue me

1. Samuel Paul Helmbrecht

Answered . If your rent is past due your landlord can file an detainer warrant against you. However, you have certain rights as a tenant under Tennessee's Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act (URLTA). I believe the act applies to Hamilton County but check with a local attorney. The landlord has an obligation to provide a fit and habitable residence. As such, you may have a defense to the action. I would recommend you contact a local attorney as you may be able to collect your attorney fees from the landlord if you are successful in proving that the landlord violated the URLTA.