I was just laid off from my construction job and up the totem pole what leg do i have to stand on?

Jacksonville, FL |

2 people involved in a fight on the job and they are still employed. they will not give me a straight answer and helped get a couple other people get a job and they are still employed shouldnt it start at the bottom. have missed 3 days due to flu. am on time everyday and have no disiplinary actions against me

You most likely don't have any sort of leg to stand on unless the employer's motivation to lay you off was based upon an illegal reason such as your membership in a protected class (age, race, sex, religion, etc.) Florida is an at-will employment state and the employer (and employee) can end the employment relationship at any time.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created by the answering of this question. If you would like to discuss your matter more fully with my office, please contact me to set up an initial consultation.

In an "at will" employment state you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all so long as you're not a member of a protected class and the motive behind the firing wasn't discriminatory.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

In an At Will Employment state, you can be laid off for almost any reason unless you are a member of a protected class (age, race, sex) and the layoff was done for an improper purpose. Ask to speak with your supervisor for a clear answer for the termination. They are not required to give you one if they choose. If you thing the termination was for an improper motive, meet with a local FL licensed employment law attorney.

Attorney is Licensed in Arizona, California, and Colorado only. The opinions and comments offered are in the nature of general business advice relating to generic questions that might be raised. The use of this site is not intended to form an attorney client relationship of any kind. The reader is advised that every situation is different and you should always consult in person with a licensed attorney for the particular jurisdiction in question when your legal rights may be effected.

Recommended articles about Employment