I was just in a car accident. Should I get a lawyer before there insurance starts calling me? I even had to go to the E.R.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lagrange, GA

I'm concerned whether I should retain a lawyer or not because I don't want to talk to the other insurance company because I know they will record me and try to change my story.

1. Anthony Charles Kalka

Pro

12

Answered . The Insurance Company will want to take your recorded statement; however, if you retain an attorney the insurance company will not be able to speak to you without your lawyer's permission. Furthermore, your lawyer can instruct the the insurance company to ask only specific questions or no questions at all. I highly recommend that you speak to a qualified personal injury attorney ASAP.

2. L. Ty Wilson

Pro

11

1

Answered . You should speak with a personal injury lawyer before you speak with the insurance company.

Ty

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.
  3. Jamie Anthony Casino

10

Answered . Yes, you are right not to want to speak to the insurance company. A lawyer will handle things for you, so you can focus on getting better. This is a stressful time for you and you don't need to worry about how you are going to get reimbursed the money you are out. My advice is to call a few attorneys and choose one that you feel that you trust and treats you with respect. Good luck to you. -Jamie Casino

4. Sam Louis Levine

9

Answered . You need to contact an accident attorney licensed in Georgia. There are some on this website and/or you could contact my office if you wish. I would be happy to speak with you. My # is (404) 303-8875. In the meantime, you should not communicate at all with the insurance company. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.

5. Joyce J. Sweinberg

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . You should contact a lawyer immediately. Do not talk to their insurance company. Make sure you have photos of the damage to the car and any physical injuries and that you get the treatment you need. Talk to an attorney and take it from there.

6. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

8

Answered . You're 100% right to be leery of insurance companies. They make a living trying to underpay claimants, and you are correct that statements you make without counsel will damage your claim. Theer are studies that say that claimants who deal direct with insurers average getting over 70% less than claimants with lawyers.

I'd be glad to offer you a free consultation. Call me at 404-768-3509. And in the interim, do not talk at all to the insurer. Also in the interim, take LOTS of pictures of the car, the site of the accident and your injuries.

7. Aaron P. Marks

Pro

7

Answered . You are right to consult with a lawyer before giving any statement. Please
    feel free to call my office Monday to discuss.

Regards,

Aaron Marks
    404-939-1485

--
    Aaron Marks, Esq.
    The Marks Law Group, LLC
    103 W. Dearborn Circle
    Decatur, GA 30030
    www.markslawgroup.com
    aaron@markslawgroup.com
    404-939-1485 (ph)
    404-581-5902 (fx)

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In
    answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and
    am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me
    at 404-939-1485 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone
    call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and
    appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with
    limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is
    possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases
    not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal
    counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office
    at avvo@markslawgroup.com . An email also does not retain my office, but
    can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy
    to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this
    communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal
    advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this
    communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my
    answer should be considered as tax-advice.

8. Kevin Coluccio

8

Answered . Yes- contact and consult with a p reasonable injury attorney. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab. Also, report the accident to your insurance carrier.

9. Peter Jonathan Ross

4

Answered . You should always consult an attorney before talking to an insurance adjuster in a personal injury case. The adjuster can ask you questions that you will have to answer whereas an attorney can tell an adjuster that some information is none of their business. Good luck.

10. Robert G. Rothstein

4

Answered . You should definitely speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer before you speak with the other driver's insurance co. You can usually speak with a PI lawyer for free and then pay no attorney fee until the lawyer actually gets you money, after you agree to a settlement amount or after a trial.

Robert G. Rothstein
    Injury Trial Attorney
    404-216-1422
    trialaw1@comcast.net

11. David Thomas Dorer

4

Answered . Insurance companies make money off of collecting premiums and not paying on claims. You should treat the insurance company as an adversary and should have someone represent you in all stages of the negotiation process.

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, don't make any statements to ANY insurance company until you have spoken to a lawyer. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  13. Jarome Emile Gautreaux

Pro

1

Answered . The short answer is yes, you are wise to consider getting an attorney BEFORE you speak to the other party's insurance company. Not only can an attorney help you not be tricked by the claims representative paid by the insurance company, an attorney can help make sure you comply with all the many deadlines that may apply to your case. These include a Statute of Limitations, insurance notice deadlines, and others that may apply in your case. I would also suggest getting photographs of the scene and the vehicles if you can, before they are altered in any way.
    Call my if you'd like to discuss in more detail.

Jarome E. Gautreaux
    Gautreaux & Adams LLC
    478-254-4759
    www.theGAlawfirm.com
    blog: www.georgiatrialadvocate.com