I was just in a car accident. Should I get a lawyer before there insurance starts calling me? I even had to go to the E.R.

Lagrange, GA |

I'm concerned whether I should retain a lawyer or not because I don't want to talk to the other insurance company because I know they will record me and try to change my story.

You should contact a lawyer immediately. Do not talk to their insurance company. Make sure you have photos of the damage to the car and any physical injuries and that you get the treatment you need. Talk to an attorney and take it from there.

I will evaluate your case for free. I can also refer you to an attorney to help you if I cannot help you. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 www.jjsassoc.net Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to contact a local lawyer since it's Sunday. I have taken photos of the damages that were don to my car. Thank you for your insight.

Yes- contact and consult with a p reasonable injury attorney. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab. Also, report the accident to your insurance carrier.

I found one through this website. Thank you.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio

Good luck!

You should speak with a personal injury lawyer before you speak with the insurance company.

Ty

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.

The Insurance Company will want to take your recorded statement; however, if you retain an attorney the insurance company will not be able to speak to you without your lawyer's permission. Furthermore, your lawyer can instruct the the insurance company to ask only specific questions or no questions at all. I highly recommend that you speak to a qualified personal injury attorney ASAP.

You're 100% right to be leery of insurance companies. They make a living trying to underpay claimants, and you are correct that statements you make without counsel will damage your claim. Theer are studies that say that claimants who deal direct with insurers average getting over 70% less than claimants with lawyers.

I'd be glad to offer you a free consultation. Call me at 404-768-3509. And in the interim, do not talk at all to the insurer. Also in the interim, take LOTS of pictures of the car, the site of the accident and your injuries.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

You are right to consult with a lawyer before giving any statement. Please
feel free to call my office Monday to discuss.

Regards,

Aaron Marks
404-939-1485

--
Aaron Marks, Esq.
The Marks Law Group, LLC
103 W. Dearborn Circle
Decatur, GA 30030
www.markslawgroup.com
aaron@markslawgroup.com
404-939-1485 (ph)
404-581-5902 (fx)

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In
answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and
am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me
at 404-939-1485 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone
call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and
appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with
limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is
possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases
not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal
counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office
at avvo@markslawgroup.com . An email also does not retain my office, but
can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy
to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this
communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal
advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this
communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my
answer should be considered as tax-advice.

ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give tax advice.

You need to contact an accident attorney licensed in Georgia. There are some on this website and/or you could contact my office if you wish. I would be happy to speak with you. My # is (404) 303-8875. In the meantime, you should not communicate at all with the insurance company. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.

Yes, you are right not to want to speak to the insurance company. A lawyer will handle things for you, so you can focus on getting better. This is a stressful time for you and you don't need to worry about how you are going to get reimbursed the money you are out. My advice is to call a few attorneys and choose one that you feel that you trust and treats you with respect. Good luck to you. -Jamie Casino

You should always consult an attorney before talking to an insurance adjuster in a personal injury case. The adjuster can ask you questions that you will have to answer whereas an attorney can tell an adjuster that some information is none of their business. Good luck.

You should definitely speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer before you speak with the other driver's insurance co. You can usually speak with a PI lawyer for free and then pay no attorney fee until the lawyer actually gets you money, after you agree to a settlement amount or after a trial.

Robert G. Rothstein
Injury Trial Attorney
404-216-1422
trialaw1@comcast.net

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.

Yes, don't make any statements to ANY insurance company until you have spoken to a lawyer. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Insurance companies make money off of collecting premiums and not paying on claims. You should treat the insurance company as an adversary and should have someone represent you in all stages of the negotiation process.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.

The short answer is yes, you are wise to consider getting an attorney BEFORE you speak to the other party's insurance company. Not only can an attorney help you not be tricked by the claims representative paid by the insurance company, an attorney can help make sure you comply with all the many deadlines that may apply to your case. These include a Statute of Limitations, insurance notice deadlines, and others that may apply in your case. I would also suggest getting photographs of the scene and the vehicles if you can, before they are altered in any way.
Call my if you'd like to discuss in more detail.

Jarome E. Gautreaux
Gautreaux & Adams LLC
478-254-4759
www.theGAlawfirm.com
blog: www.georgiatrialadvocate.com