I was just fired from work after being falsely accused of doing illegal drugs. No evidence was presented because there isn' any.

Asked 11 months ago - Raleigh, NC

I was just fired from work after being falsely accused of doing illegal drugs in the kitchen of the establishment. Apparently there is evidence of myself and another employee doing such. There was no evidence given because there isn't any. I was to turn in my keys and leave the property, my things will be gathered and i can pick them up when i go to get my last paycheck. There was no questioning prior, I wasn't asked anything leading up to this "ever", and now I have to file for unemployment and find another job. I wont let this stand when I've done nothing wrong, where do I start to fight back to clear my name and get on with my life.

1. Matthew Vernon Silva

3

Answered . In NC you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all (except for discrimination). If you were fired for using drugs in the kitchen, and your boss was wrong, you can still be fired.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . In an at-will employment situation, you can be fired for any or no reason (baring circumstances you didn't mention here).

FYI, in many states you cannot collect unemployment if you were fired for cause.

You best option may be to put it behind you and move on if you believe the employer is not interested in anything more you have to say.

See a NC employment attorney ASAP.

3. Kenneth Love Jr.

1

Answered . Both previous answers were correct as there is not much you can do. At this point, your focus is on applying for unemployment benefits. Keep in mind that if your employer disputes your benefits and you have a hearing, this is not a forum to "clear your name." It is only designed to see if you are qualified for not. If you get a hearing, I strongly suggest you hire an attorney to assist you.