I was just fired from work after being falsely accused of doing illegal drugs. No evidence was presented because there isn' any.

Raleigh, NC |

I was just fired from work after being falsely accused of doing illegal drugs in the kitchen of the establishment. Apparently there is evidence of myself and another employee doing such. There was no evidence given because there isn't any. I was to turn in my keys and leave the property, my things will be gathered and i can pick them up when i go to get my last paycheck. There was no questioning prior, I wasn't asked anything leading up to this "ever", and now I have to file for unemployment and find another job. I wont let this stand when I've done nothing wrong, where do I start to fight back to clear my name and get on with my life.

In an at-will employment situation, you can be fired for any or no reason (baring circumstances you didn't mention here).

FYI, in many states you cannot collect unemployment if you were fired for cause.

You best option may be to put it behind you and move on if you believe the employer is not interested in anything more you have to say.

See a NC employment attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

In NC you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all (except for discrimination). If you were fired for using drugs in the kitchen, and your boss was wrong, you can still be fired.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit

Both previous answers were correct as there is not much you can do. At this point, your focus is on applying for unemployment benefits. Keep in mind that if your employer disputes your benefits and you have a hearing, this is not a forum to "clear your name." It is only designed to see if you are qualified for not. If you get a hearing, I strongly suggest you hire an attorney to assist you.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes