I was just charged with this violation but there was no breathalizer or blood taken from me but i did refuse to take them

Downey, CA |

would that be written my ticket ...or would that be written on my case and if so do you belive i should get a lawyer

DUI cases are almost always more complex than they first appear. So in answer to your last question, if it is something that you can afford, retaining counsel in advance would be advisable. Additionally, you can anticipate being charged with a refusal, along with the underlying DUI charge.

If you refused the tests, you should get a lawyer ASAP. You will need to request a hearing with the DMV to contest the license suspension, which can be 1 year for refusing the test if you have no priors.

Many times, the DA tries to penalize someone for refusing a chemical test even harsher because of the refusal.

The thing to remember is that tr refusal must be "knowing". This means that you must be advised of the potential consequences of that refusal in for it to be considered one.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

You already have answers from three fine lawyers. As someone you cannot hire, I join in their response that you need to get a lawyer right away, one who knows dui defense.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

If it was a refusal, DMV can still take action (for the refusal), but it'll be a question as to whether the prosecution can prove you were either 1) under the influence, or 2) at or above a .08. They need the BAC for that. Also, the refusal is an enhancement to the DUI charge. So if they can't prove the DUI, then they'd never get the chance to prove the refusal (again this is for the Court criminal case).

You can look on the pink slip the officer gave you. Towards the top, there are boxes for .08, .01, refusal, etc. See what box is checked, and that may give you some more idea of where this sits right now.

You have 10 days from the date of arrest to set up a DMV hearing, FYI. Lots to look into.

Disclaimer: This was not legal advice, and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, you should get a lawyer. It does not need to be repeated that you face potentially serious consequences.

As my colleagues have mentioned you will have to contend with the DMV as well as the courts.

Also as mentioned, if in fact your refusal was "knowingly given," you will be charged with 23152(a) as well as the special allegation of the refusal. VC 23152(a) is defined as "driving under the influence" of an alcoholic beverage, drug, or combination of both. "Driving under the influence" has a very technical meaning and the officers can point to your driving, objective signs of impairment, FSTs, or a combination of the above to prove that you were not operating your vehicle like a sober person would under like circumstances.

The details of the driving pattern, objective signs of impairment, and your performance on the FSTs, if in fact they were given, will be listed on the police report. As such, it is important that you show any attorney the police report so you can get an honest assessment of your case.

This is all complicated if you have had a DUI in the past or have any other limitations on your license or driving.

The information above is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information.

First off you must request the APS hearing through DMV within 10 days. If it is found that you refused to submit to the test DMV will suspend your CDL for 1 year. You should absolutely hire an attorney. An attorney will know how to address the issues in both the DMV hearing and the criminal court proceedings.