I was just accused of hit and run, I didn't do it!

Asked over 3 years ago - Snohomish, WA

Someone just came to my home and said that a car like mine was at there house a month ago and hit their car. They said that a neighbor recognized my car from the neighborhood and so they came over and took down my license number. They said that the 'hit and run' happened one month ago. I'm wondering, "Aren't they supposed to report this kind of things and why did they wait so long to say anything? I did not do this, they have a vary large dent in the side of a Work Van and I have an Acura with NO damage!! What should I do?

1. Martin Wade Hodges

Pro

Answered . If you have no involvement in this collision, you have nothing to worry about and don't have to do anything. The person who is claiming damage will have to file a police report. The police are obligated to investigate and will likely call you. If you are involved with the collision, I would decline talking to the police. Again, if you have no involvement, you have nothing to worry about. As a practical matter, I would examine your car to make sure there is no damage in the event that someone could have borrowed your car. If your car was somehow involved, contact your insurance company. Given there are no witnesses, it would be difficult to successfully convict you of hit and run even if you were charged. If you are positive you are being falsely accused and you have no damage to your car, tell that to the police should they come knocking. Let me know if this information is helpful. Good luck.

2. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . If you are being accused, you should probably notify your insurance company so they can handle the denial of the claim.

Pro

1

Answered . If you didn't do it and your car has no damage, it is unlikely you will get charged. If you do, you can retain a local lawyer to defend you.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.