Skip to main content

I was issued a 40-6-72 for not stopping at a stop sign coming out of my apartments onto a main road. Can I get out of it?

Flowery Branch, GA |

I called and the ticket was $203. I have not been pulled over in 15 years. I don't want this on my record of to increase my insurance. Is there anything I can do?

Attorney Answers 3


If the stop sign is on private property you can't be written a citation for running it, but in this case the sign is most likely on public property controlling traffic access to a public roadway. Your best bet is to go to court, meet with the prosecutor, and see about getting the charge reduced to a non-reporting violation such as O.C.G.A. 40-6-180 Too Fast for Conditions.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr Yeargan, but let me add that you could also hire a lawyer to do the same thing for you. That would likely increase your total cost, but it should also increase your chance of success. A lawyer who practices regulalry in the court you are going to and who has a good reputation will greatly improve your odds, in my experience and opinion.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Get an attorney to deal with this.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics