Skip to main content

I was involved in accident w/o insurance but it wasn't my fault. The car is under my dads name. Can i still be sued?

Mcallen, TX |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I hit another motorist as a result of them running a stop. My bf who was traveling behind me, witnessed the accident. The officer on site took his statement but did not put it on the final report. The report now suggest that im at fault when i wasn't! Now the other driver is suing me? To add insult to insult, my insurance agent did not update my bank information to draft payments automatically and as a result my insurance was terminated. What do i do? The truck is under my dads name and so was the insurance.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. If you were injured, consult with a local personal injury attorney.

  2. Yes. Not only you but your father will also be sued. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  3. Yes you can be sued but if your dad's insurance company covered the car, then you can have his insurance company handle this. Be sure to tell your dad's insurance company about this accident and let them know your BF saw the accident and says it's not your fault. If there is no insurance, contact an experienced TX attorney right away.

  4. If the other driver has filed suit, and your insurance was not in effect, you need to secure your own counsel to defend you.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics