I was involved in a rear end car accident, I was the driver, my car was hit from behind, can I settle with out a lawyer?

Sun City, AZ |

I believe I got whiplash, have constant headaches, and lower back pain.

Don't do it. The insurance company and their adjustor want you to settle without a lawyer. That way they can pay less to you and get away with not paying for all of your damages.

Hiring a respected lawyer does not cost you anything and typically results in you getting more than you could without a lawyer. My firm, for example, will not accept the case if we cannot do better (on a net basis) for the client than they could do on their own -- and I am sure most other reputable lawyers here would have the same approach.

So please speak with someone and do not try to handle this on your own since many people, like myself, are less likely to accept a case in that situation because clients can unknowingly make it harder or impossible for me to be effective once they have made statements or representations to the insurer without my involvement. Good luck.

You can settle without a lawyer, but it may not be advisable. It sounds like you may have some significant injuries. I recommend consulting with a personal injury lawyer in your area before you try to settle the case on your own. Most lawyers offer free initial consultations so you can meet with the lawyer before you try to settle your case.

There are often many issues in these cases, even though they may seem straight forward at first. It is best you talk to a lawyer to make sure you fully understand the legal issues at play before you decide to handle this on your own.

Absolutely, you do not need a lawyer. Not do you need a mechanic to fix the vehicle, a doctor to treat your injury or a sanitation worker to care for debris. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

Sure you can. Big mistake though.Good luck

You should consult an attorney in your State at once. Visit our webpage and tell us what you think. www.schnitzerlaw.net

Sure you can settle on your own but you may regret it. You mention that you "believe" you got whiplash and have constant headaches and lower back pain. If your in pain you should go to a doctor and get checked out. You should not settle any case if your having pain. The pain may be a more serious indication of things to come. Good luck.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

I am very sorry to hear about your accident. Yes, you can settle without a lawyer, but I would not suggest it. Settling an injury claim can be difficult and time consuming. There are many laws and deadlines you must comply with. The insurance company is going to have a professional on their side and his or her job is to find a way to compensate you as little as possible. You should have a professional on your side as well. I would suggest you consult with a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations and work on a contingency free, meaning there are no out of pocket attorney's fees up front. Good luck to you and I hope you are feeling better fast.

You certainly could communicate with the insurance adjuster on your own. My experience is that an aggressive and competent personal injury attorney can assist you in developing a treatment plan and develop your pain and suffering better to get you a better settlement.

You do not need a lawyer; however, it can be a task handling a personal injury case. Have you sought treatment for your injuries? Have you spoken with the at fault party's insurance? At a minimum you should contact a personal injury attorney, most offer free consultations.

The above statement does not create an attorney-client relationship and the submitting party should not consider the responding their attorney.

The assistance of a good lawyer is always a plus. Have you consulted with a doctor about your injury? If you have not you should do so at once then you should consilt with a good personal injury lawyer.