I was involved in a minor accident and cited for careless driving, no one was injured thank God!

Asked over 1 year ago - Leesburg, FL

I was being prescribed 10mg. methadone, for pain resulting from failed surgi. synd.. An Officer arrived on the scene approx. 10 min. later, asked me if I was okay, I said yes, and he went to the other vehicle and asked the same, she said she was okay too. I was coming home from shopping, so I tried to put everything in the trunk-groceries, garmin, radar detector, my prescription, check book etc. I had called my dad in the mean time (before FHP arrived) to take all my stuff out of the car so it wouldn't go bad, get stolen, etc. My script was 1 of them-I was arrested for dui cause he asked me if I had taken any "drugs"? Truth btold, b-cause I wasn't mirandized and tried to cooperate. Hetold me to lean o/t back of my car facing his. I start to pray, I am very pious, he cuff me-no miranda

I will be more specific when I can speak with an attorney on the phone. Thank You

1. 14

Answered . You should call a criminal attorney in Leesburg - there are attorneys listed on this site - and not post any additional information here.

2. 13

Answered . This is a DUI/criminal defense question, I've changed the practice area for you. Look under the Find A Lawyer tab here at Avvo for a criminal defense attorney in your area

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. 10

Answered . I would contact and consult with a criminal law attorney.

4. 10

Answered . Immediately consult a local criminal law attorney - many offer free initial consultations. You can locate a local attorney right here on AVVO by using the tool "Find A Lawyer" Good Luck

5. 6

Answered . You need to talk to a defense lawyer. You're not out of the woods yet. Just because the police don't charge you with DUI, doesn't mean the prosecutor won't. I handle these matters and offer a free consultation.

6. 6

Answered . The officer just needs probable cause to arrest for DUI. That your normal faculties were impaired by drugs or alcohol. The reason you were not read your Miranda warnings was because the officer was initially conducting a traffic investigation. Miranda rights are triggered by custodial interrogation. If you were questioned after you were placed in custody there is a potential Miranda violation to discuss with your attorney.