I was involved in a hit and run, my insurance company does not cover it. Should, I seek legal assistance?

East Orange, NJ |

At the scene of the incident, I was making a right turn and someone was crossing the street. I hit the person but did not knock them to the ground. I didn't even hit their legs. the person leaned on the car with their hands and jumped back with their feet before the car could touch them.

1. Your post is confusing and missing important details. As any liability insurance policy you have in force on your car at the time of the incident would cover an accident involving a claim of a pedestrian being injured due to the operation of your car, there should be coverage. Therefore, do not know why you say there is no coverage. Secondly, you are calling this a "hit and run" - who "ran" from the scene - you or the pedestrian ? In either event, you should notify your insurance carrier right away. Even though you make it sound as if the pedestrian was not injured, by reporting the incident you will be provided a defense and if necessary indemnity for any claim that is brought against you, up to the amount of the policy limits.

2. Facts are not clear. However, if you have issues dealing with insurance company, you should consult an attorney. In addition, if you are being accused of a hit and run, you definitely should contact a criminal defense attorney.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed.

3. Is someone sueing you? Did you insurance carrier already tell you that they are not covering it? Did you get criminally charged with a hit and run (leaving the scene of an accident). These are some of the questions that need to be answered before you can get answer your question.

You should reach out to a personal injury attorney who also handles insurance coverage issues, such as myself, for a free 30-minute consultation. I would be happy to schedule that with you.

Matthew C. Simon, Esq.
    The Law Office of John Tierney
    1259 Route 46 East
    Building 3, Suite 133
    Parsippany NJ 07054
    Tel: 973-588-3050
    Fax: 973-588-3048

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

4. Your question and statement is confusing. I cannot imagine why an insurance company would not cover this UNLESS you were operating an uninsured motor vehicle at the time of the accident. You should immediately review your policy and speak with your broker. Were you issued any tickets for operating a motor vehicle without insurance? 39:6B-2? If so, you are looking at losing your license and driving privileges. You should speak with your broker and insurance company.

Please note that by attempting to answer your question, I am not acting as your attorney. I will do nothing further to protect or preserve your interests in the absence of any additional discussion with you about this matter. Jeffrey E. Grabelle, Esq. Starr, Gern, Davison & Rubin, P.C. 105 Eisenhower Parkway Roseland, NJ 07068 Office: (973) 403-9200; Fax: (973) 226-0031 Email: jgrabelle@starrgern.com