Skip to main content

I was involved in a dwi accident witch resulted in personal injury to woman in other vehicle i am being charged with felony dwi

Shirley, NY |

i am currently incarcerated in riverhead jail on long island ny i am looking for a pro bono lawyer to help me my legal aid attorney will not give me information and is not helping

Attorney Answers 6


If you had car insurance then turn the claim over to them for the injury claim for the other driver. If your current attorney seems like they are not looking out for your best interests then see if you can switch attorneys.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


"Pro bono" lawyers coming to the rescue are things of television drama. You have your pro bono lawyer he or she has been assigned. If you are unhappy with your lawyer you need to pay to retain counsel. And with the charges you are facing you should do what you can to put together at least $10,000 for counsel that does a high volume of felony DWI defense. Or do the best you can with what you got.

Mark as helpful

12 lawyers agree


You want a second free attorney to help the free attorney you already have? I don't see that happening. Hire a lawyer if you want or ask the Judge to appoint someone different if you have a legal basis.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


You should call your attorney to address your concerns.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


Your insurance company will provide you with an attorney free of charge for the civil defense. Fr e criminal case you have legal aid unless you want to pay for a lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


You must send a letter to your lawyer and ask for the specific information that you want and a copy of your file. Most defendants do not understand that their lawyers are working for them but it is a long process and it is often months before the DA even offers a plea. There are really no pro bono lawyers that are going to do 50 hours of work for free, there are Legal Aid lawyers who are experienced and often good lawyers, but they will not go to jail and see you or talk to your family. They will talk to you in court. Be grateful that you have a free lawyer. If you do not want to be in jail do not commit crimes.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

DUI accidents topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics