I was involved in a dwi accident witch resulted in personal injury to woman in other vehicle i am being charged with felony dwi

Asked over 1 year ago - Shirley, NY

i am currently incarcerated in riverhead jail on long island ny i am looking for a pro bono lawyer to help me my legal aid attorney will not give me information and is not helping

1. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

12

Answered . "Pro bono" lawyers coming to the rescue are things of television drama. You have your pro bono lawyer he or she has been assigned. If you are unhappy with your lawyer you need to pay to retain counsel. And with the charges you are facing you should do what you can to put together at least $10,000 for counsel that does a high volume of felony DWI defense. Or do the best you can with what you got.

Pro

11

Answered . You should call your attorney to address your concerns.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

Answered . You want a second free attorney to help the free attorney you already have? I don't see that happening. Hire a lawyer if you want or ask the Judge to appoint someone different if you have a legal basis.

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

7

Answered . Your insurance company will provide you with an attorney free of charge for the civil defense. Fr e criminal case you have legal aid unless you want to pay for a lawyer.

5. David J. McCormick

8

Answered . If you had car insurance then turn the claim over to them for the injury claim for the other driver. If your current attorney seems like they are not looking out for your best interests then see if you can switch attorneys.

6. John J. Carney

Pro

3

Answered . You must send a letter to your lawyer and ask for the specific information that you want and a copy of your file. Most defendants do not understand that their lawyers are working for them but it is a long process and it is often months before the DA even offers a plea. There are really no pro bono lawyers that are going to do 50 hours of work for free, there are Legal Aid lawyers who are experienced and often good lawyers, but they will not go to jail and see you or talk to your family. They will talk to you in court. Be grateful that you have a free lawyer. If you do not want to be in jail do not commit crimes.