I was involved in a car collision, the other driver has the same insurance as myself. An offer was made for $400, do I need atty

I injured my chest and saw my doctor, but I could not afford the medication. Both cars were repaired by the insurance company. I just received a call from our insurance agent and she said the other party is offering me $400 to settle. The collision report indicated it was an equal fault. This sounds like the other party is admitting their fault. I told the agent that I needed to discuss this with my husband and she told me regardless of who I spoke to, she was sending the formal offer to me in the mail, and that I needed to sign and return it. My husband and I think we might need legal representation.

Walnut, CA -

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

Yes, you absolutely need an attorney in such an instance. Don't accept or respond to the offer until you consult with an attorney.

Sponsored Listing
Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - San Francisco, CA

yes talk to a local lawyer.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

John Michael Phillips

John Michael Phillips

Personal Injury Lawyer - Jacksonville, FL

Yes. Find a local attorney. That is a low offer and they can help you find the medical help you need.

Andrew Daniel Myers

Andrew Daniel Myers

Personal Injury Lawyer - North Andover, MA

A "Low-ball" offer is an insurance company settlement attempt to get rid of a claim for far less then the amount that the claim is worth. This is what is being thrown in your direction. You are smart to think twice. Be even smarter by retaining an experienced attorney in your jurisdiction.