Skip to main content

I was involved in a car accident 4 years ago and my insurance had expired a few hours before the accident.

Brooklyn, NY |

I live in New York City and now the insurance company is suing me for 30,00$ in damages while the police report clearly does not state I was at fault. I stupidly ignored all letters to
appear in court and now I received a letter stating that my license will be suspended.
I am on a $15,000 salary and no where near being able to send pay in full or make payment plans. Is it best I just file for bankruptcy.

Irresponsible driver

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You may also want to consult with a litigation attorney who can file an Order to Show Cause to vacate the default judgment against you. Even if your insurance 'expired' a few hours before the accident, there is still a formal process an insurance company has to follow to properly cancel your policy. If they failed to do so, you may still be covered. Good luck!

  2. I suggest you consult a bankruptcy attorney. You can let that attorney assess all of your debts, including but not limited to the default judgment against. Once she does that you can make a decision as to the best route to take. Good Luck,

  3. You must consult a local bankruptcy attorney right away. At the time of your appointment bring all paperwork for review.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics