I was involved in a car accident 4 years ago and my insurance had expired a few hours before the accident.

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I live in New York City and now the insurance company is suing me for 30,00$ in damages while the police report clearly does not state I was at fault. I stupidly ignored all letters to
appear in court and now I received a letter stating that my license will be suspended.
I am on a $15,000 salary and no where near being able to send pay in full or make payment plans. Is it best I just file for bankruptcy.

Sincerely
Irresponsible driver

1. Daniel Alexander Steinbok

1

2

Best Answer

Answered . You may also want to consult with a litigation attorney who can file an Order to Show Cause to vacate the default judgment against you. Even if your insurance 'expired' a few hours before the accident, there is still a formal process an insurance company has to follow to properly cancel your policy. If they failed to do so, you may still be covered. Good luck!

2. Yefim Rubinov

Answered . You must consult a local bankruptcy attorney right away. At the time of your appointment bring all paperwork for review.

3. Andrew Ronald Gillin

Pro

Answered . I suggest you consult a bankruptcy attorney. You can let that attorney assess all of your debts, including but not limited to the default judgment against. Once she does that you can make a decision as to the best route to take. Good Luck,