I was involved in a bad car accident. The lawyer was very lousy. Can I reopen the case after 4 months from the date it happened?

Newark, NJ |

It left me in bruises that left scars and other pain from top to bottom and had my car almost completely destroyed since October 2012 . I suffered the most damage while the other driver came out of it perfectly fine and his car only had a headlight broken . My insurance refused to pay for the car , so I hired a lawyer 2 days after the accident . The lawyer and his team of other lawyers paralegals etc . were unfortunately very negligent and would inform me of progress after a very long time after the date the progress occurred , like 3 weeks after . He is now telling me that other than medical treatment I receive I am not entitled to anything else . I see this as highly unfair because I was hurt so much both physically and psychologically . I now want to reopen this case and also sue the lawyer .

1. The short answer to your question is that you are still within your statute of limitations of 2 years for a motor vehicle accident in NJ so you still have time to pursue your potential case. A person such as yourself has the right to hire new counsel if he wishes. Move quickly to retain new counsel, if you wish, in order to preserve your rights. Good luck.

***DISCLAIMER: the providing of this information does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship***

2. Did you settle the case? If not, you should contact a new attorney as soon as possible. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab.

3. If you didn't settle it, you can switch lawyers. Find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

4. You have the right to fire your attorney at any point for any reason and hire a new one. If you think someone else can represent your interests better you owe it to yourself to see what else is out there. We have an office in Jersey City and would be glad to sit down with you for a free consultation if that is the decision you end up making.

Best of Luck,

RFB

5. Definitely come for a consultation. You are fine within the statute of limitations. Perhaps he is not a personal injury attorney. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

6. You can always fire your lawyer. You are still within the statute of limitations (2 years) for a personal injury auto accident in NJ so you still have time to pursue your potential case. However, you shold be aware that if your own insurance ploicy catties the "verbal" or "lawsuit" threshold, the injuries sustained must fall withing several categories, the catch-all being a permanent injury that that results in some partial or total disability of a bodily. system, function or organ; otherwise you lawsuit will be unsuccessful. Usually, you will need to pay your doctor or another doctor you retain to write a report expressing his opinion that you meet the criteria based on diagnostic and clinical testing. Since you are dissatisfied with your present lawyer, you should seek out another lawyer for a sceond opinion.