Skip to main content

I was injured in a mva, if I have 100/300/100, what is the most I can receive in pain and suffering?

Portland, OR |

A friend was driving my car, left the asphalt going around a left curve, went down an embankment. I had to be extracted from car, (Totalled) Broken rt femar, broken left foot, etc. Hospitalized 10 days, still recovering.

Attorney Answers 10

  1. If you have qualified counsel, then listen to your attorney. If not, then get one. Every case is different. To have a shot at being fairly compensated requires an expert. No different than the expert surgeon who treated your leg, expert first responders who extracted you, expert police who secured the scene, expert tow truck driver who removed the vehicle. I could go on; hopefully, you understand now. Good uck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. This depends on several factors. The first would be whether this crash happened in Oregon or Washington. It would also depend on whether you are a Washington resident or Oregon resident and whether your friend was independently insured under his own insurance policy. Finally, we must know whether or not your policy includes underinsured/uninsured (UIM) insurance.

    Essentially, there are a lot of issues here that will all come in to play and you would be best served contacting a personal injury attorney directly about your case. It sounds as if you have fairly significant injuries and you would very much benefit from counsel.

    Good luck!

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. DISCLAIMER: This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Scott W. Edwards Attorney at Law Schauermann Thayer Jacobs & Staples 1700 E. Fourth Plain Blvd. Vancouver, WA 98661 PHONE: (360) 695-4244 FAX: (360) 696-0583 E-MAIL:

  3. Did your friend have liability insurance? If so, you will be making a claim against his insurance first. If he does not have insurance, you need to determine if you have uninsured motorist coverage in the limits that you describe and, if so, whether the policy will provide uninsured motorist coverage in this situation. You should consult a good Portland personal injury attorney to advise you on the situation.

    Good luck.

  4. I agree with all m colleagues. You seem to be really hurt and you will do yourself a disservice if you do not contact a PI lawyer in your jurisdiction. Get one from AVVO or get a family attorney to recommend one in your city. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  5. I would not handle his without getting a local injury attorney to help.

    Sent from my iPad

  6. My answer is based on Washington state law. Your attorney (don't try this at home) should explore all possible sources of compensation. First, determine whether the driver had insurance. Second, since he was driving your car with your permission, he is covered by your liability insurance. A 100/300 policy usually means that any one person may recover up to $100,000, and all the people injured in the accident can recover a total of $300,000. So you can recover up to $100,000 from your liability policy. You state your coverage is 100/300/100. If so, the last 100 may refer to PIP coverage, which helps pay for your medical expenses and lost wages without fault, but not pain and suffering. Third, you may have underinsured motorist coverage in the same amount. Insurance companies in Washington are required to offer underinsured motorist coverage in the same amount as they offer liability coverage, unless the insured declines the coverage in writing. Did you sign a written statement that you did not want underinsured motorist coverage? And can they produce that statement? if you did not sign or if they cannot find the written statement, you are entitled as the policy holder to recover underinsured motorist coverage as well, again in the sum of $100,000. I started by saying that you should not try this at home without a lawyer because of several traps for the unwary here. First, you must seek formal permission from the UIM carrier before settling the liability coverage or you will waive (i.e. lose) the underinsured motorist coverage. Second, if you can settle the claims for the respective policy limits, you may be able to keep the funds as yours instead of losing them to the medical insurance carrier who will want to be paid back for the medical bills they paid for you. In short, these are complex questions that can be appropriately resolved only by an experiences personal injury lawyer.
    All I am doing is pointing out SOME of the difficulties you face in this situation.

  7. See a local lawyer asap. Your policy may not provide benefits to you in this situation. Bring your policy in to have it reviewed.

  8. There may be multiple policies to collect from. Don't try to resolve this yourself, as you could sabotage your good claim. Retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find one with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  9. You have very significant injuries.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    The amount you potentially could receive for pain and suffering is unlimited, however, as a practical matter, you often are limited by the extent of the available insurance coverage or attachable assets of the defendant. I suggest you speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  10. There are several good general answers above and all have their place, I am an attorney in Oregon and would be happy to review your case specifically with you.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics