I was in washington state for an internship and a possible job,but unfortunately for me I got in trouble with a domestic violenc

Asked almost 4 years ago - Boston, MA

e case.I was placed under two yr probation.I left the state and at that time washington state didnt have an interstate compact with the commonwealth so I wasnt able to transfer.Its been several yrs now.The probation department said they have no interest in the case and wouldnot pursue an extradiction.I hired a lawyer to get the warrant dismissed or terminate the probation.But he has failed to do so.Is there any legislation or grounds I have to get the matter resolved without having to go to the state and risk getting arrested on the warrant which seems to still be in effect.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to have the case in Washington state closed, sometimes an attorney can waive your appearance or if that doesn't work have him/her set up the case with the probation officer and the court and just show up for one court appearance and have all the matters closed. I woudn't risk having that hanging out there, you could be held as a fugitive from justice in most states. ask the lawyer again, maybe it was a miscommunication. good luck.

  2. Dominic L. Pang

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Repost this question in the Washington state forum. You are going to need the assistance of a WA attorney to straighten out this matter. Note that in MA, you can be arrested and held as a fugitive from justice if there is a warrant for you out of another state, even if that other state does not wish to have you extradited.

  3. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . It sounds like you took the proper steps to resolve, but hired someone that was unable to do it properly. If you paid the attorney a retainer, you should ask for the unearned portion back, and hire another attorney that can help you.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,023 answers this week

3,439 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,023 answers this week

3,439 attorneys answering