I was in washington state for an internship and a possible job,but unfortunately for me I got in trouble with a domestic violenc

Asked almost 4 years ago - Boston, MA

e case.I was placed under two yr probation.I left the state and at that time washington state didnt have an interstate compact with the commonwealth so I wasnt able to transfer.Its been several yrs now.The probation department said they have no interest in the case and wouldnot pursue an extradiction.I hired a lawyer to get the warrant dismissed or terminate the probation.But he has failed to do so.Is there any legislation or grounds I have to get the matter resolved without having to go to the state and risk getting arrested on the warrant which seems to still be in effect.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

9

Answered . You need to have the case in Washington state closed, sometimes an attorney can waive your appearance or if that doesn't work have him/her set up the case with the probation officer and the court and just show up for one court appearance and have all the matters closed. I woudn't risk having that hanging out there, you could be held as a fugitive from justice in most states. ask the lawyer again, maybe it was a miscommunication. good luck.

2. Dominic L. Pang

Answered . Repost this question in the Washington state forum. You are going to need the assistance of a WA attorney to straighten out this matter. Note that in MA, you can be arrested and held as a fugitive from justice if there is a warrant for you out of another state, even if that other state does not wish to have you extradited.

3. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . It sounds like you took the proper steps to resolve, but hired someone that was unable to do it properly. If you paid the attorney a retainer, you should ask for the unearned portion back, and hire another attorney that can help you.