I was in foster care then w/relative until I turned 18. Shouldn't I be an independent s tudent for FAFSA? How can I appeal?

Asked over 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

I was in foster care then w/relative(court paper said temp. custodian) until I turned 18. Shouldn't I be an independent s tudent for FAFSA? How can I appeal? Federal help line says yes, just tell school. School says no and won't tell me how to appeal. Please Help!!

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Have the admission office help you with the correct classification for the FAFSA. If they won't help you have to ask yourself if that is the school for you. Only you know.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.