I was in custody in a 'private' jail & witnessed systemic civil rights violations against the less educated; actionable?

Asked 10 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

The facility I was in is owned by a very large private prison conglomerate; the staff seem to lack basic civil rights training/education.

They systemically accused inmates of breaking rules to extend their sentences; thus keeping occupancy levels high. They literally run this place like a hotel; its all about the ADR (average daily revenue).

1. Greg Thomas Hill

7

1

Answered . The answer to your question is no. It is not actionable by you.

It is actionable, however, by those whose rights were violated.

However, there may some type of "whistleblower" reward that you may be entitled to in such a case if the ACLU or a civil rights attorney were able to subpoena the names of those whose rights were violated and then if that attorney brought a class action lawsuit against the facility. There may or may not be such a reward. It would be distinguishable from the class representative enhanced award, as you would not be a class representative. Talk to the ACLU or Johnie Cochran's law firm.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

7

Answered . If you feel that your rights were not violated, then you have no standing to file anything. However, you may be a witness to those whose rights were violated.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

7

Answered . By those who's rights were offended, maybe. Not by you who merely observed it.

4. Steven Gourley

5

Answered . I agree with each of the previous comments by the other Attorneys.

Additionally, if the facility is Federal, and Private, then an inmate may only have access to State Tort law for remedies and may not be able to sue based on the Consitution for Civil Rights violations.

Pro

4

Answered . No standing

6. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

1

Answered . These situations will be of increasing concern in coming years. The ACLU might be able to do something.