Skip to main content

I was in an auto accident on 4-17-14 and 4-28-14. What can I logically expect from the insurance with back and neck injury?

Bryan, OH |

In 1986 and 1995 I was injured in those auto accidents resulting in back, neck and body injuries and myoclonus [muscle spasms] . In 2006 I was involved in inhaling hydraulic fluid at a work site that did not report to workman's comp due to being self insured. In 2010 I fell forwards and backwards in the stairs at my house and had 2 concussions causing the right leg to drag. I have been recognized as being disabled in a Social Security suit but not disabled enough to get benefits.

With these 2 accidents 1 as a passenger and 1 being rear ended; my previous injuries are now bothering me again. I have no income. Do I need an attorney for an insurance company that may just tell me to take the offer or go away?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Yes, you likely have a strong claim. You should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney in Bryan immediately. Preferably one with a 10.0 Avvo rating. You can use the Avvo search tool to locate a local attorney. An experienced injury attorney will be able to review the facts and advise you on how to proceed with your claims. I would strongly discourage you from attempting to resolve this matter on your own. Insurance companies are only looking out for their own interests, not yours. You should not speak with representatives of the insurance companies without first speaking with an attorney. Generally, these cases are taken on a contingent fee basis, which means you would not be required to pay any upfront fees to your attorney. You should continue to follow your doctors' advice and get any treatment necessary. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Best wishes.

Mark Eugene Barbour

Mark Eugene Barbour


I agree. Experienced and accessible representation is important


While you don't legally need an attorney, practically and realistically speaking you should want one. Contact local and qualified counsel asap. Insurance companies love when people don't have lawyers.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


I would highly recommend that you have an attorney. It is not uncommon for a person involved in an accident to have pre-existing injuries. The overall impact of those pre-existing injuries on the value of your claims is very fact specific and case specific. An experience personal injury attorney could help you understand the nature of your case and protect your best interests in any negotiation with an insurance company.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Because every case is different, the description of awards and cases previously handled does not guarantee a similar outcome in current or future cases.


You definitely need an attorney if you want any chance of recovering fair value for these accidents. Your medical and accident history is complex and requires the aid of an experienced OH personal injury attorney ASAP.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.


An attorney would be the best bet, and you don't need money, as the lawyer will only deduct a fee if he recovers money.


Absolutely! With two accidents it is important to hire an experienced personal injury attorney in your area.I don't know of any personal injury attorneys who will not work on a contingency fee, which means there are no fees unless he or she is successful. Good luck. Do not try to represent yourself, or speak to anyone from the insurance companies from either accident. If you have, make sure you tell your attorney everything, including whether they taped your statement.


You really need an attorney. There is an art to dealing with pre-existing injuries and the Average Joe just isn't equipped to deal with cases like this.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer