I was in an auto accident, they scheduled an appointment at examworks. Do I have to go?

Detroit, MI |

Do I have to go to my insurance company doctor

1. Yes, even though they are far from "independent." There is a duty to cooperate in your auto policy and your claims adjuster can suspend your no fault benefits if you fail to go to IME appointments.

2. I agree with my colleague. That duty to cooperate includes the duty to visit with the doctor.

That does not preclude you from seeking your own independent opinion!

Good luck and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. Yes, you must visit with the insurance company doctor or they could deny your claim for failing to cooperate.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

4. Like previously mentioned, you should go. You should also immediately get your own counsel to assist you. Most always in these types of cases consultations are free and lawyers don't get paid unless you win.

-Attorney Scott Aaronson
    877-I-CAN-WIN
    Free Consultations

5. You should see a lawyer first. If your ins co wants you to see a doctor of its choice, you may have to go. If the other party's ins co wants you to go to its doctor, you do not have to, so long as suit has not been filed.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.