Skip to main content

I was in an at fault accident in which I recieved a ticket, what should I do especially since I already could loose my license?

Buffalo, NY |

I have had traffic violations resulting 11 points moslty for speeding or red light violations. This accident I recieved a ticket for following to closely to another vehicle,in which I wasn't the car just would not stop as I tried to stop and hit another car. I recied moving violation,what should I do considering that my driving record looks bad,besides quit driving?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Get an attorney, this is a beatable ticket. If you were to be found guilty, this ticket carries 4 points.


Hire a traffic court lawyer and take a defensive driving class to remove points from your license.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Your tailgating ticket carries 4 points and roughly a $200 fine. You should therefore fight it (especially given your point problems). Before your court date, you should take a NY Driver Safety Class which will remove 4 points from your license. You should also consult with (if not hire) an experienced NY Traffic Ticket lawyer.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

Matthew Jay Weiss

Matthew Jay Weiss


One more thing. In most cases (like yours), the police officer did NOT see the accident. If this is the case, you have a strong defense (i.e., that the police officer did not actually observe the offense and thus cannot testify reliably as to whether you were following too closely).


Hire an attorney to assist you.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


It is very likely that you will do better regarding the disposition of this ticket with an attorney than without one. The particular Court and prosecutor will also play a large role in determining the best result that can be negotiated. It may also be possible for an attorney to assist you in having some of your prior convictions vacated (erased) depending on the circumstances.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer