I was in an accident and i didnt have insurance, but the registration or title wasnt in my name. Will I get sued?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago Heights, IL

i just recently bought the car from my cousin so the accident happened before we could switch everything over. So everything is in his name. Also, i am 19 years of age.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The short answer is that yes, you can be sued. Will the other driver sue you? Maybe.

    You should make sure your parent's insurance doesn't cover you, it may.

    If you are contacted by the other driver's insurance provider or attorney, don't make statements to them. Get yourself an injury attorney and follow his/her advice.

    You also have to worry about criminal/traffic court. You need to retain a lawyer for that.

    Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Check to see if you are covered under your parent's insurance.

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you speak with your cousin about what insurance he had in effect at the time of the incident. Depending on the provable facts, you may have coverage through his policy.

    I suggest you not publish anything further on the Internet about this incident and seek counsel if necessary.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,464 answers this week

2,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,464 answers this week

2,344 attorneys answering