I was in an auto accident several months ago and

Asked about 1 year ago - Augusta, GA

My Meds total 5800.00 and I seem to be okay and want to get it over with so I understand the best way to settle is to multiply by two to get paid for pain and suffering. does that sound right 5800x3,

1. Patrick Lee Jarrett

18

Best Answer

Answered . First, you need an attorney to evaluate your case. You may be entitled to seek a larger recovery than you are aware of. There is no simple formula. Your recovery should be determined based on the specific facts in your case.

2. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

18

Answered . Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on how badly injured you were and whether or not your medical records reflect the nature and extent of your pain. Did you treat for a long time? A short time? Any lost wages? Any permanent impairment, loss of range of motion? Any fractures? Any scars? Do the photos of the wrecked cars show a lot of damage or a little damage? Was the other driver drunk? there are a lot of factors that effect case value. It's not a one size fits all analysis. You might want to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney about this.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

14

1

Answered . There is no magic formula except one - claimants who do not hire a lawyer typically get offered 70-80% less than claimants with lawyers.

So if you settle on your own, expect to be badly underpaid. Stop talking to the insurer, and have a lawyer evaluate the case. What you can get depends on whether you are dealing witha top line insurer or one of the bad ones like State Farm and Allstate, how strong liability is, how bad the injury was and whether there is permanent impairment, how much time you lose from work, etc.

4. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

13

1

Answered . While many people use that formula, most attorneys and adjusters do not. Several factors differentiate claims with venue, lost wages, etc being some of the most obvious. The biggest issue is that adjusters simply don't treat or pay unrepresented parties the same as those with attorneys. They end up jerking you around, asking for additional records and information they're not entitled to, and end up dragging the process out while eliciting harmful information in the process. Many attorneys will not take the case after you've been negotiating either because it makes our jobs much harder.

If you're committed to going it alone, just keep those things in mind. 3x medicals is as good a place to start as any. Good luck

Pro

14

1

Answered . No. Please don't play lawyer, retain one. There are a plethora of factors that go into a case...too many to list here. Get a local personal injury lawyer so you don't sabotage your claim. Get a personal injury lawyer so you get maximum compensation.

6. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

11

Answered . The best way to get a favorable outcome is to retain an attorney. Insurance company do not treat you fair if you do not have an attorney.

Darrell B. Reynolds Attorney and Counselor At Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway,
    Suite, D
    Decatur, Georgia. 30033
    404-636-6616

7. Michael R Crosner

11

Answered . Too many variables to give an opinion - this much I know for sure you will never receive the best settlement without the assistance of a good personal injury attorney - I know, I used to trail insurance adjusters; they are not on your side

8. Benjamin Whitaker Price

7

Answered . It sounds like you do not have an attorney. Do not settle this case without an attorney. Multiplying your medical bills by any number is an oversimplification of evaluating your damages. Most PI attorneys do not require any up-front costs and are paid a share of your recovery proceeds. They do all the work for you and there's a built-in incentive to maximize your recovery. Let an attorney handle your case and don't just settle to settle. Plus you don't want to be speaking to insurance adjusters who are just looking for you to make statements they can use against you or deny your claim. Hire an experienced PI attorney. There's lots of them.

9. Chong Hae Ye

Pro

8

Answered . You should hire a PI attorney who would review the case with you and see that you get the best outcome available. What will you do if you later realize that you will have to sue the other driver because their insurance company is being unreasonable with their offer?

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.
  10. Merlyn Butler Dodson

6

Answered . There really is no simple formula that will give you a fair number. It really depends on the nature and extent of your treatment. An attorney will consult with you without any obligation on your part to retain the attorney (free consultation and no obligation to hire the attorney). The attorney will be able to provide guidance on what you should do after you discuss all the details with the attorney. There is a level below which (in my opinion) it does not make sense to involve an attorney in your case. However, you should contact an attorney and discuss your case with her/him and make an informed decision on whether you need an attorney to help you with your case.

11. David Ian Schoen

Pro

7

Answered . There is no formula. Don't be foolish just because you want to get it over. Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney.

12. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

5

Answered . All of the attorney' have supplied you good answers. You should not do it yourself. Hire a personal injury lawyer ASAP.