Skip to main content

I was in a three-car accident caused by a driver that fled the scene. The insurance company places 50% of the blame on me.

Lubbock, TX |

I was in a three-car accident on a day that it snowed.
I collided with a vehicle that was spinning on the ice and out of control on a one-way single lane ramp.
The driver of the vehicle I collided with had initially lost control on the ice but had regained it before getting hit from behind by a truck that fled the scene and couldn't be identified.
The police report states that the accident was caused by the hit-and-run driver. I did not get a ticket from the police.
I have the same insurance with the driver I collided with. Our insurance company has placed 50% of the fault for the accident on me and 50% on the hit and run driver. The figure seems arbitrary and the fact the other driver lost control suggests, to me, lack of caution and so that driver should be assigned some of the fault.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    You need to get a lawyer to help assist you with this problem. Continuing to negotiate with the adjuster isn't going to help. They chose the 50% number to get out of having to pay you anything, I would suspect, though I'm not a Texas lawyer. Contact a lawyer ASAP

  2. Sorry to read of your crash.

    Do you have a specific question regarding the crash? Of course the figure is arbitrary. An attorney can help you fight if that matters in this situation.

    Good luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  3. You will need to get an attorney if you want to fight the insurance company. They are always arbitrary, so no surprise there.

    This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

  4. Best bet is to retain a local car accident lawyer for representation.

  5. A local lawyer should be retained to get you the compensation to which you are entitled.

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

  6. I am not certain why this 50% designation is of particular concern to you at this juncture. If you try to collect for your car damages through your collision coverage, the 50% means nothing. They would have to pay you for your car damage regardless of fault.

    If you are sued by the other driver, your insurance company has to defend you. There will be no money coming out of your pocket, at least up to the limits of your coverage. Since apparently your vehicle collided into the other vehicle, which was in a spin, it does appear that you were either going too fast for conditions or failed to keep a proper lookout, both of which would be elements of fault on your part.

    If you received a personal injury in this incident,you should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics