I was in a small car accident on Saturday. Someone backed into my car in a parking lot and cause about $800.00 worth of damages

Albany, GA |

to my car. I've had neck pains since Saturday so I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me pain meds and musc le relaxers and said I should be fine in about 1 week. The insurance adjuster offered me $400 for pain and suffering . Is this a fair amount?

1. Probably not, especially since you don't know the extent of your neck injury. You should finish treating for your neck first before you settle. Otherwise you may find out after you settle that you accepted a small amount for a bigger injury. You should speak to a personal injury attorney soon. I'd be happy to speak with you. 478-254-3606

2. You could still have injuries manifest themselves. If you settle now, it will be a full and final settlement and you would not be able to go back should you discover you have more serious injuries. I strongly suggest you speak with a local, experienced attorney who can discuss the case in more detail. Generally, it is a bad idea to settle an injury case a few days after it occurs.

I am glad the accident was not more serious and hope that you are feeling better soon. You might want to consider chiropractic care for relief from the pain. I have attached a legal guide I wrote on the subject.

DISCLAIMER: This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationsip has been, or will be, created until a valid engagement agreement is signed. No duty arises from this posting. Answers posted here are general and made with limited knowledge of the actual facts of your case. Always speak with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction if you wish legal advice specific to your case.

3. Suggest you make a full recovery from your injuries before you settle your case. Once you sign a release you will not be able to make a claim for any additional medical expenses that may arise in the future.

4. You have made one huge mistake already in talking to the insurance adjuster directly about medical damages. Don't make a second one by falling victim to the con game that the adjuster has pulled on you.

First of all, you never settle a case until you are finished treating because you will not be paid for future treatment and damages.

Second, people often do far better with a lawyer than without one.

So stop talking to the adjuster, see a lawyer, and have the lawyer evaluate what you actually should seek.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

5. No. How do you know you won't be in traction a month from now or ultimately need surgery?You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

6. I would not take any money until you get looked at further by a doctor and you give yourself time to recover to see how you are feeling because you may findout your medical bills are much higher then the low ball offer the insurance company is trying to get you to take. Call a personal injury attorney asap.

The Law Offices of Keith Ligori
    Free Consultations
    813-254-7119
    info@keithligorilaw.com

Legal Disclaimer: Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about The Law Offices of Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit www.keithligorilaw.com