I was in a motorcycle accident & am now on ssd. I have a T.B.I. I got my settlement while living w/ my boyfriend of 3 yrs.

Asked over 1 year ago - Harrison Township, MI

I paid off everything, w/ my settlement money before marriage, such as $52,000 on his home and both motorcycles etc... We got married. Now he wants divorce kicked me out. he stated that if we ever broke up he would pay back the $ I have that noterized. is he entilted to that $?

1. Henry S. Gornbein

Pro

7

1

Answered . Hi Contact a divorce lawyer at once to review assets and liabilites regarding your receiving at least some of the money back. If you can trace the money and have a written promise to pay you back then that should be very helpful. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

2. Peter L. Conway

7

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Gornbein and Mr. Brennan.
    Presuming that this is a relatively short marriage, the judge may be willing to get at least part of your money back to you. In any event, the only way to get specific answers to your questions is for you to meet with a lawyer who handles divorces and let the lawyer see any documents that show your agreement with your boyfriend/spouse.
    Good luck with everything.
    If I can be of further assistance, you can contact me at (810) 664-1388 or conwaypc@tir.com
    Peter Conway

3. John F. Brennan

6

1

Answered . You have posted a complex question that cannot be answered without additional facts. Additional factors will include the length of the marriage and the factual situation both before and after it. He will tend to want to take the position that your pay off of the home, now claims to be his home, as well as the payoff of the motorcycles which I assume are also in his name was a gift. You will argue no that it was not, and it was in anticipation of your marriage.
    You will need a good attorney, and should be arguing that the parties, especially if this was a short-term marriage, should be placed back into the same situation as they were prior to the marriage before any marital assets are split. You absolutely need an attorney.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

5

1

Answered . You need to ask this of a divorce lawyer. I a,m going to re post this under divorce.

5. Kevin Coluccio

5

1

Answered . You need to talk with a family law lawyer. There are many details that would need to be reviewed.