I was in a minor accident a few weeks ago and I carry my legal perscriptions with me do to having multiple sclerosis.

I was taken in because I was honest about medication and was charged with a dwi. I was very cooraptive and they asked if I'd take a urinalysis and I agreed to it because I had nothing to hide. I was released ROR. Since this is medication I take on a daily basis what can happen?? It was also dropped to a mister meaner when I was released. I have another court date coming up and I'm wondering what will happen. I have a clean record up until now :(

Riverhead, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Personal Injury Lawyer - New York, NY

It is illegal to drive while impaired by drugs. More information is needed to know if your medication is on the list of prohibited drugs. The DA's on Long Island are very hard on dwi cases so I suggest you retain a good criminal defense lawyer who knows how to handle a dwi case.

Sponsored Listing
Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Personal Injury Lawyer - Parsippany, NJ

You may have a valid defense to the DWI altogether. You should stop cooperating with the police and seek an experienced criminal defense attorney who handles DWIs ASAP. Have an experienced attorney review the paperwork and make the strongest arguments possible on your behalf. Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner

Personal Injury Lawyer - Northridge, CA

Retain a good local criminal law attorney ASAP - BEFORE going to court

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

The accident is not conclusive evidence that the medication impaired you or that you were impaired while driving. The arrest may have been a knee jerk reaction by the police, and I come across this too often. You should consult counsel and provide him with the names of your medical providers to investigate the realtionship or lact thereof to the causation of the accident. It is well documented that MS medications can impair cognitive functions, but that does not necessarily mean impaired motor functions distinct from the disease itself. Good luck.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Retain a good criminal lawyer to fight this mister meaner....

Effimia Soter

Effimia Soter

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - New York, NY

Retain a good attorney to represent you on the DWI charge. It is not clear if you had taken your medication on the day of the incident/arrest prior to the accident.

Moreover, what are the side effects of the medications that you are taking? Are there any facts missing from what you told us?

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.