I was in a hit and run and the driver most likely will not be identified. will UMPD pay for my damanges as i am liability only?

Tinley Park, IL |

i know this varies by state, i am in illinois and have nationwide insurance if this helps. i can't seem to understand from my policy papers.

If you have liability coverage only, then you do not have uninsured motorist coverage. Call your agent to confirm the extent of your coverage.

If you don't have UM, there is no real option. Unless you waive UM coverage, it'll be equal to liability limits.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website: www.hofflawyer.com
Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

We are confused because you are asking if UM coverage will pay BUT you do NOT have UM coverage. So, YES, UM WOULD pay if you had UM coverage. There MUST be evidence of physical contacr for the insurance to pay.

Liability coverage ONLY takes care of the other car/occupants.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

You may be referencing uninsured motorist PROPERTY damage where you have no collision coverage. Make a claim as if you have this coverage, if hit by uninsured driver, even if no collision, you most likely can recover. This coverage is important for those that don't want collision coverage. You should realize how important it is to have adequate coverage. Good luck.