Skip to main content

I was in a hit and run accident with a taxi company?

Mount Vernon, NY |

i took them to small claims court and won but they refused to pay me and soon closed there doors what should i do what are my options

Attorney Answers 7

  1. It depends on whether they have insurance, how much were your med bills. Your property loss seems minor since you are in small claims court. If you have insurance you should file a claim against your own policy or better yet, talk to a NY lawyer. There are great AVVO lawyers that practice in your area. Please search for a New York lawyer. BEST OF LUCK.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  2. The most likely scenario is that you are out of luck, but there may be a glimmer of hope. If you have the license plate number of the taxi that was involved in the accident you may be able to obtain information regarding it's automobile liability insurance. If you go on the New York State DMV website you should be able to fill out a form requesting the information. Once you have the insurance information you can make a claim and provide them with a copy of your judgment. There are all sorts of issues that will likely pop up, including that of late notice to the insurance carrier, but if you are extremely lucky you may be able to negotiate some type of payment on your judgment.

    The more likely scenario is that you will be unable to find any insurance information and the corporation that you have a judgment against is a shell and thus judgment proof.

    It may be best just to cut your losses and stop spending time and aggravation over this issue. Good luck.

    The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

  3. It is unlikely you will have any ability to recover given that they have gone out of business.

  4. Do you have Unisured Motorist coverage? If so file a claim through your insurance comapany and they should cover this loss. Then your insurance company will have subrogation rights against the third party. That means they may decide to go after the third party.

  5. Collection agency.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  6. Check with DMV if you have e license plate number. The owner of the vehicle should be sued, not necessarily the cab company. If the company is out of business it is unlikely to collect against them. If you have full coverage, then make a claim against your company.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  7. I suggest that you locate an attorney who does collections work and see if he will undertake collection of your judgment for a percentage of the recovery.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics