Skip to main content

I was in a fender bender, I was at fault. The other guy said he maybe had whiplash, should I have a lawyer?

Springfield, MO |

I was just coming off the freeway. There is a new intersection built and I was looking to merge. My car went forward a little and hit the guy in front of me. He said he might have whiplash and was going to go to his doctor tomorrow. I have no insurance and was wondering if I should get a lawyer for my court date?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Since you have no insurance you will be responsible for the damages that were suffered. I was hire an attorney who can better negotiate a settlement against you. I'd also ask the attorney in your area to investigate the issue of the new intersection that was built. It is possible the city is somewhat at fault here.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


If you are referring to your court date for a traffic ticket, you should save your money that you might pay an attorney and purchase insurance instead.


Without insurance you will have to pay out of your own pocket for an attorney. You are responsible for all property damage and any personal injuries he suffered. The other driver will probably make an uninsured motorists claim against his own insurance company, and they will be looking at you for repayment.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


It is always a good idea to retain a lawyer for any court date. Get insurance so this doesn't happen again. You put yourself and others at risk by having no insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Your insurance company has to provide you with an attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer