I was in a car wreck, do I need a lawyer

Asked about 2 years ago - Troy, NC

I was sideswiped by another driver in a 2003 Chevy pickup truck in my 97 Plymouth breeze, first time wreck and not sure if I need a lawyer, my mother and 3 children was also in the car when it happened

1. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

4

Answered . If you, your wife or children were injured, hire an attorney. Otherwise, report the claim to your insurance carrier for repair of your truck. If they determine that the other driver was at fault, they will demand reimbursement from his insurance for what they pay out for the truck repairs and after they are reimbursed they should refund your deductible.

Consult an attorney in NC to know for sure.

2. Pedro Eduardo Krompecher

2

Answered . Anytime you are in a car accident you should contact a lawyer. If you, your mother or your children potentially suffered any injury you need an experienced lawyer to make sure you get the proper medical examinations and treatment, that your medical bills are paid, and that your vehicle is repaired. Injuries may be less obvious for young children or older adults. You need to make sure that you have proper guidance on handling your claim for physical injuries, pain and suffering, and lost wages as a result of the accident. Good luck and I hope you find a good lawyer to help you navigate this claim.

Pedro Krompecher
    Krompecher Law Firm, PLLC
    (Phone) 919-229-9529
    (Fax) 919-869-2933
    (Email) pedro@krompecherlaw.com
    www.krompecherlaw.com

3. David S. Henson

1

Answered . It really depends on your injuries. In my opinion, if your injuries were minor and only included an Emergency Room visit and a followup visit or so, then there is a pretty good chance that you would be better off handling the claim on your own. Conversely, if your injuries were more substantial, or you are currently unsure what your injuries are, then it is always a good idea to talk with a lawyer to learn more. I have posted a number of videos on Avvo that discuss when you do and when you do not need a lawyer. You might want to check some of those out for a ore complete answer.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . Wasa nyone hurt? If so, you retain personal injury attorney to protect your rights. If not, you see if you can settle the property damage aspect of things with the insurance company in a fair and rapid way.

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . If anyone was personally Injured:You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.