I was in a car accident where the other driver was at fault. We found out the his insurance was not enforced. Do they still pay?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Monroe, LA

Driver ran a red light and t-boned my car and totaled it out.

1. Stephen David Hebert

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with prior counsel. But to clarify, the other driver is still liable for your damages. But if the other driver had no insurance, you may have rely on your own policy to recover because, if they couldn't pay for insurance, it is not likely that they would have any money or other assets to satisfy a judgment. You can still proceed against the other driver. The problem simply is your judgment might not be worth the paper that it's printed on.

In any event, I would take a copy of your own insurance policy for a consultation with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you!

2. Sheldon S Saints

Pro

3

Answered . If the other driver does not have insurance, you can then turn to your own insurance and make a claim for uninsured motorist coverage. You should immediatley speak to a local personal injury attorney to learn and protect your rights. Initial consultations are normally free. Good luck.

3. Sidney Weinstein

3

Answered . If the injuries are substantial enough that your uninsured motorist coverage does not cover all of your damages, you can also pursue them personally. There may also be other insurance options depending on the facts. Seek out a local personal injury attorney.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . I am assuming there is a typo in your question and I am assuming what you are telling us is that the person who hit you had no insurnace "in force" at the time of a collision with you. What does that mean? It means he had no insurance you you will not receive any insurance proceeds from him. What it also means, however, is that you must reach out to your own insurance carrier to make an Uninsured Motorist claim. I am hopeful that you had such coverage. If you did not, there will be no insurance proceeds to be had.

Of course, if you were hurt, you need to seek counsel from a personal injury attorney who understands how to maximize your recovery!

5. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

1

Answered . When an auto accident involves an uninsured motorist, the uninsured motorist must make financial amends to the other party if the uninsured party is at fault. Financial amends can include paying for repairs to the other party's automobile and paying for medical bills. If he does not made amends, the other party can sue the uninsured party. Typically, these kinds of cases land in small claims court. Small claims courts only award judgments up to a certain amount.