I was in a car accident where I was hit from behind. The car is totaled and I have injuries. Can I sue?

Asked over 2 years ago - Boston, MA

I was driving to work when I was hit from behind. I wasn't hurt immediately but went to the hospital a few hrs later and the next day with severe pain in my head, neck, shoulder, and back. Because the car is totaled, the car was a 98 chevy, I no longer have a car for work, and personal use. The accident has caused me to not preform my job as I should and I cant enjoy physical activities that I was so actively involved in before the accident occurred. Can I sue the woman because she has caused me pain and suffering, medical bills, and now no car?

1. John Robert Sauter

11

Answered . Yes, most certainly. You should consult with an experience persona injury attorney in your area to determine the best course of action, which, depending on your situation, could be filing suit, or could be approaching her insurance company to discuss settlement.

You should be compensated for your pain, your suffering, the costs of your medical treatment, and for missed work, among other compensable injuries. Hiring a personal injury attorney, who usually agree to take your case at little to no cost to you, will help you get the compensation you deserve.

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, you should retain a personal injury lawyer. Simply search Avvo's "find a lawyer" for a personal injury lawyer in your state, and call to obtain representation.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Randy William Ferguson

6

Answered . If she has insurance you should be able to settle the case without filing suit. Talk to an attorney about the case and get the treatment you need before you do anything.

4. Kati M. Amarantes

3

Answered . Hi,

How long ago did this happen? Have you been in touch with the insurance provider of the person who hit you? Was there a police report done? I can certainly help you if you would like, as I do practice in MA. I am not a personal injury attorney, but do take on occasional car accident cases. Please feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Regards,

Kati
    kati@asclawyers.com

5. Henry Lebensbaum

3

Answered . Yes

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

6. Hadi Edward Ramsey

4

Answered . You should follow your medical doctor's advice and take every measure to treat until you are better. Meanwhile, you will need to speak to an attorney to help you in litigating this matter. Good luck.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

8. Daniel Paul Buttafuoco

Pro

1

Answered . YES! Find an experienced injury attorney and call for a free consultation right away.

Daniel Buttafuoco
    www.1800NowHurt.com