Skip to main content

I was in a car accident in nj I had a prior accident months before this recent one

Hopewell, NJ |

I was experiencing some pain at this present accident I told rescue and police I was ok no new injuries jut a little pain from a prior accident they recommended I go anyway get checked out hospital in nj kept me over 6 hours placed a color on my neck after almost 4 hours I went for cath scans then released no new medical issues today I get a bill from hospital $25,000.00 treatment tests I have no insurance the car I had a accident in was a taxi my employer said I only worked for him 3 weeks to go apply for mercy care since I don't have insurance he only had liability is this legal what do I do I have a pa license work in nj driving a tAxi have a pa license got a careless driving ticket and other driver had injuries my driving record is excellent I'm age 63

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    If the accident occurred during the course of your employment, you are entitled to worker's compensation, which your employer has to provide regardless of the length of time you are on the job (even if it was your first day). If he refuses to provide you the insurance info, go to the NY Workers' Comp. Board to file. His liability insurance on the car should also cover you for any claims by the other vehicle/occupants. Consult with an attorney if you are injured about your right to pursue a personal injury claim, which consult will be free of charge.

  2. If you are an employee, your employer has to have a worker's comp. policy to cover your injuries and he has to also have a personal injury policy on the taxi. You will have to make the insurance carriers aware of this crash. In addition to these medical bills you will almost certainly be sued for the other driver's injuries, particularly if you're driving a taxi in NJ without an NJ commercial license and were cited for reckless driving.

    This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. To get legal advice, consult an attorney in your local area or the area where the issue is located. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response is based on the limited facts provided, and without any independent investigation of the author. Given additional or different facts, the response would likely change. The attorney providing this response is licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction if it is outside those jurisdictions.

  3. Retain a local workers comp lawyer to investigate.

  4. If you consult a workers compensation attorney they should be able to do an insurance search to see of the company was covered. If you we're not in the course of employment, there may be Personal Injury Protection coverage on the taxi. Either way, an experienced attorney will be able to sort out some of these issues for you.

  5. I agree with the other attorneys. You may be covered under the workers compensation insurance policy or your own auto insurance policy. It depends on the contents of the policy. Many attorneys such as myself offer free 30 minute consultations.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics