I was in a car accident in a company vehicle. It was my fault, however my boss said I had to pay the deductible. Can he do that?

Midlothian, IL |

I backed up down a busy street and scraped the side of another vehicle in another lane.

1. Yes your boss can make you pay the deductible. You have admitted the accident was your fault.

2. I would think this is covered under his commercial policy. Whether he can request you pay the deductible is up to him and the company policy, if any.

Report it, cooperate, and then talk to him to see what justification he has for this. Realistically, you're at his mercy most likely.

If you were hurt, you probably have a workers' compensation case.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

3. I would think that as an agent of the company, working on behalf of the company, he would not be able to make you pay the deductable personally. Now, that said, arguing with your boss may create problems.