I was in a car accident in 2005 I was 11 years old and my mom is wondering can I still get my money now since I am 19 now

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

she wanted to wait till I turned 18 to get it so that I could have it also the claim was filed and she has the case #

1. Marc Christopher Lenahan

Pro

3

Answered . Maybe, but better hurry! For most kinds of car cases in Texas, you'd have until your 20th birthday to have failed your suit or settled.

Marc

**** Sent Mobile ****

Marc C. Lenahan
    Lenahan Law, P.L.L.C.
    www.SevereInjuryLawFirm.com

214.295.1008
    214.295.2664 fax
    888.473.2820 toll-free

2655 Villa Creek, Suite 204
    Dallas, Texas 75234

President-Elect,
    National Crime Victim Bar Association

Vice President,
    Texas Brain Injury Alliance
    (formerly Brain Injury Association of Texas)

2. Robert C. Slim

2

Answered . Like any legal question, there are two parts: a legal part and a practical part. Legally, you have two (2) years from the date that you reach the age of majority to bring a claim for personal injuries that you sustained as a minor child. However, you need to find out if your case was prosecuted by your parents or legal guardians on your behalf when you were a minor child. If so, then your claims might be closed.

Practically, however, unless you had a very serious injury or an injury resulting in some sort of permanent disfigurement or impairment, it might not be worth your time and effort to assert a claim now. This is because some elements of damages do not belong to you. For instance, a claim for medical expenses incurred for injuries to a minor child belong to the parents of that child. Likewise, those claims cannot be brought by you since you don't legally own those claims. The only part of the claims that pass to you upon reaching adulthood are claims for physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, and any medical bills that you incur after reaching the age of majority.

Nevertheless, you should talk to a personal injury lawyer before making any decisions. I offer a free initial consultation and would be glad to personally discuss your case with you.

3. Vuk Vujasinovic

Pro

1

Answered . We need much more information in order to try to help you. Can you please tell us in which state the accident occurred, the exact date of the accident, and your exact birth date? That information will at least allow us to give you a preliminary answer. Thanks.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . Talk to a personal injury attorney in Houston to figure out if you have the right to now bring a claim in early adulthood.

Good luck to you!

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

1

Answered . Is the case resolved and money in trust?

6. Anthony Charles Kalka

Pro

1

Answered . If this accident happened in Ga you would have until 2 years after you turned 18 to file your lawsuit and serve the defendant. Good luck.

7. Robert Don Fink

Pro

1

Answered . It is possible. It depends on the state in which the accident occurred. Most states allow a claim to be made after turning 18. The allowable time varies, but 2 years is fairly common. You need to speak with a personal injury lawyer right away. He/she can review the facts and law with you to determine if you have a case, if you can still bring it and if the case is still worth bringing. Good luck.