Skip to main content

I was in a car accident in 2001 everyone was compensated except myself. How could I get my compensation too?

New York, NY |

It has been a long time. All I remember is where the accident took place and I went to therapy for awhile. The therapist has since closed down and the attorney handling the case I do not remember what am I to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Unless you were a child, a car accident that occured in 2001 is so old that you will have no remedy available. If there is merely a typo int he year in your post, reach out to a New York State personal injury attorney to discuss your options.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


As Mr. Deasy said; good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Find the attorney. Hopefully they filed a claim otherwise you are probably barred by he status of limitations.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.


2001? If that's the correct date, your opportunity for legal recourse is long gone unless you were a minor at the time and turned 18 within the past couple of years.


Did you sue? Have you looked for your name in

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


2001? A decade too late...


Do you remember where the attorney's office was. If so go there and see if the attorney is still there. If the attorney did not commence a law suit, you would theoretically have a legal malpractice claim. But since you only briefly went to therapy and do not seem to have continuing complaints, it appears that you would have difficulty proving the underlying claim under NY law that you sustained a "serious injury."

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer