I was in a car accident in 2001 everyone was compensated except myself. How could I get my compensation too?

Asked 8 months ago - New York, NY

It has been a long time. All I remember is where the accident took place and I went to therapy for awhile. The therapist has since closed down and the attorney handling the case I do not remember what am I to do?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Unless you were a child, a car accident that occured in 2001 is so old that you will have no remedy available. If there is merely a typo int he year in your post, reach out to a New York State personal injury attorney to discuss your options.

2. Steven Robert Samples

7

Answered . 2001? If that's the correct date, your opportunity for legal recourse is long gone unless you were a minor at the time and turned 18 within the past couple of years.

3. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

4

Answered . Find the attorney. Hopefully they filed a claim otherwise you are probably barred by he status of limitations.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . As Mr. Deasy said; good luck.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Did you sue? Have you looked for your name in nycourts.gov?

Pro

3

Answered . 2001? A decade too late...

7. David Ian Schoen

Pro

Answered . Do you remember where the attorney's office was. If so go there and see if the attorney is still there. If the attorney did not commence a law suit, you would theoretically have a legal malpractice claim. But since you only briefly went to therapy and do not seem to have continuing complaints, it appears that you would have difficulty proving the underlying claim under NY law that you sustained a "serious injury."