I was in a car accident and was given a ticket for failure to maintain lain change. Would it be beneficial to go to court?

Asked about 1 year ago - Kennesaw, GA

I came into a lane and the other person was coming much faster than I could tell and they honked so I came back into my lane. They over corrected and swerved and came back into my lane and hit me.

1. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

6

Answered . Traffic tickets are usually worth fighting because fines are often high, and they add points to your records which mean rate increases from your insurance company. Was the other person cited as well, or just you? Any injuries? If you were both cited, it may be possible to get both tickets dismissed if there were no injuries. Even if you were the only person cited, it may be possible to get a dismissal if the damage was minor and no injuries. Call an attorney to get some advice on options.

2. Richard H. Wooster

5

Answered . Yes, you should hire an attorney to represent you too. The few hundred you pay the attorney will save you many times that amount in lower insurance premiums down the road.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

3

Answered . Even if you ignore the fine and the points (and you shouldn't), a hidden cost of a ticket is often increased insurance rates. So it certainly makes sense to see a lawyer before court and discuss what you should do.

Pro

4

Answered . Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer, and your chances for a successful resolution increase exponentially.

5. Matthew C Simon

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Protect yourself - get a traffic ticket attorney. Good luck.