I was in a car accident and was at fault, but found out that I had a lapse in coverage. What to do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ellenwood, GA

When I called my insurance company , i found out that there was a lapse in coverage . Therefore , I was not insured at the time of the accident per my insurance company and my request to cover was declined . I went to court and the accident case was dismissed due to the other party's non attendance . Today , I received a letter from the other party's insurance company and it states that if I don't have insurance I must call them immediately .

1. Lisa Morgan Edwards

6

Answered . You need to contact an attorney who will charge you by the hour to assist you with the defense of the other party's insurance company's claim. If you don't call their insurance company, you may end up getting sued. If you receive a copy of a summons and complaint served on you by a sheriff's deputy you need to hire a lawyer and file an answer within 30 days.

2. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

5

Answered . Agreed. When you say the accident case was dismissed I understand that to mean the citation was dismissed? The insurance company will have a valid subrogation claim against you if you admit or were at fault. Talk to an attorney about your options

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

4

Answered . Get a good civil lawyer (don't talk to the insurer without counsel). You probably will have to pay the damages. If you don't make arrangements to do so, they can get your license suspended until you pay, even for life (bankruptcy may be a way out, so ask your lawyer that as well). Act soon, as in today, and treat this as a top priority.

4. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

4

Answered . You are responsible for the damages to the other party. You have to pay them out of pocket or by any other means you have that could cover their damages.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    drey1954@cs.com
    404-636-6616

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

5. Robert G. Rothstein

4

Answered . I would not recommend that you call the other insurer as they will probably ask you for a recorded statement of your version of how the incident occurred, and in any event calling them will almost certainly not benefit you in any manner. Unfortunately , since you were uninsured you will not only have to pay for an attorney if they sue you but you will also have to pay any judgement they may obtain against you. You need to speak to an attorney before you speak to anyone else about this incident. Hopefully, the other party's damages, including property damage to their vehicle and injuries, if any, are minimal. Any contact by you with the other party and/or their insurer and attempting to settle the case yourself is not a good idea at all. I wish you good luck.

Law Offices of Robert G. Rothstein
    www.rgrothsteinlaw.com

6. Michael Shemtoub

4

Answered . DO NOT make that phone call until you consult a local attorney! Call one right now!

Pro

4

Answered . I would retain a local lawyer. The lawyer will first see investigate this supposed 'lapse', as the insurance company may still be responsible.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  8. Kevin Coluccio

2

Answered . I agree with the other responders, you need to contact an attorney to assist. Unfortunately, without insurance, you will have to pay for the attorney fees.