I was in a car accident 3 week I had my 2 year old daughter with me also their insurance company wants to settle.

Asked 8 months ago - Jefferson City, MO

I receive a sprained shoulder do I need a lawyer or do I need to collect my hospital bills, prescription that I had paid for plus loss wages along with pain and suffering.

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

15

Answered . Of course their insurance company "wants to settle" as the price will only go up. First of all, how can you be sure at this point that your injuries are healed? Secondly, how do you know what a fair settlement amount would be?

No, you do not NEED a lawyer. You are free to accept whatever sum and sign a irrevocable release without that assistance. If what you WANT is a fair settlement, then it would be prudent to consult with a personal injury attorney. If you have a firm settlement offer, you can discuss a contract with a PI attorney that "protects" that settlement and collects a fee only from additional settlement funds obtained.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

15

Answered . Contact qualified counsel now. The insurance company is not your friend. Good luck.

3. Spencer Edward Farris

Pro

13

Answered . Most folks are not able to deal with professional insurance adjusters and recover what they should after an injury. If you decide to go it alone, I have some helpful video tips at theinjurynews.com.

Studies have shown that folks with an attorney vet 4 to 5 times more money than folks without. There is not enough money to make getting hurt worthwhile! That being the case, you should protect your family and get what you can.

4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

14

Answered . You should finish treating, get all your and your child's bills and records together, and meet with a personal injury attorney before considering settling.

5. Michael R Crosner

14

Answered . Too soon to settle - full extend of your injuries might not yet be known. Consult a local personal injury attorney ASAP - what have you got to lose since many offer a free initial consultation.

Pro

11

Answered . Don't sign your life away. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to obtain maximum compensation. Only 29% Fee Deducted, the Lassen Law Firm, with offices in Philadelphia, PA, and Marlton, NJ, and serving ALL of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

7. Brent Alan Sumner

Pro

8

Answered . I recommend that you contact a lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help gather everything that you need for you and can make a claim on behalf of you and your daughter. The insurance company will not treat you fairly without a lawyer. Unfortunately, they do not care about you and only care about saving themselves money. A lawyer will get you more money then you would get on your own. It's sad but true. Act quickly and hire a lawyer.

8. David Ian Schoen

Pro

8

Answered . You would be crazy to settle a case after 3 weeks and you may be doing your daughter a grave injustice. Instead, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can prevent you from doing something that you will be sorry for later.

9. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

7

Answered . It may be too soon to settle. If you try and negotiate with the insurance company, you will be at a major disadvantage. Your best option is to finish treating for your injuries and then consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area to maximize your compensation for your daughter's claim and your claim.

10. Andrew T. Velonis

5

Answered . There are degrees of sprain, just like there are degrees of burns. Three weeks is probably not enough time for medical science to determine the extent of the injury. You might be fine in a few more weeks with physical therapy, but it is also possible that you have some tear or other problem that could be long-term, or permanent, or may require surgery. The insurance company wants to pay you a nominal amount to go away. Go to an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area, and follow up with medical treatment and diagnosis. Once the full extent of your injuries have been determined, then you and your lawyer will be in a position to talk settlement.