Skip to main content

I was in a car accident 3 week I had my 2 year old daughter with me also their insurance company wants to settle.

Jefferson City, MO |

I receive a sprained shoulder do I need a lawyer or do I need to collect my hospital bills, prescription that I had paid for plus loss wages along with pain and suffering.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


Most folks are not able to deal with professional insurance adjusters and recover what they should after an injury. If you decide to go it alone, I have some helpful video tips at

Studies have shown that folks with an attorney vet 4 to 5 times more money than folks without. There is not enough money to make getting hurt worthwhile! That being the case, you should protect your family and get what you can.

While we hope this information is helpful and informative, it should not be considered a substitute for legal advice. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. Please contact us for a free consultation on your injury claim - there is never a fee unless we collect money for you.


Of course their insurance company "wants to settle" as the price will only go up. First of all, how can you be sure at this point that your injuries are healed? Secondly, how do you know what a fair settlement amount would be?

No, you do not NEED a lawyer. You are free to accept whatever sum and sign a irrevocable release without that assistance. If what you WANT is a fair settlement, then it would be prudent to consult with a personal injury attorney. If you have a firm settlement offer, you can discuss a contract with a PI attorney that "protects" that settlement and collects a fee only from additional settlement funds obtained.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


You should finish treating, get all your and your child's bills and records together, and meet with a personal injury attorney before considering settling.


Contact qualified counsel now. The insurance company is not your friend. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Too soon to settle - full extend of your injuries might not yet be known. Consult a local personal injury attorney ASAP - what have you got to lose since many offer a free initial consultation.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Don't sign your life away. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to obtain maximum compensation. Only 29% Fee Deducted, the Lassen Law Firm, with offices in Philadelphia, PA, and Marlton, NJ, and serving ALL of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair


Oh dear, Mr. Lassen, it is time to review the TOS and Community Guidelines on client solicitation.


It may be too soon to settle. If you try and negotiate with the insurance company, you will be at a major disadvantage. Your best option is to finish treating for your injuries and then consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area to maximize your compensation for your daughter's claim and your claim.


I recommend that you contact a lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help gather everything that you need for you and can make a claim on behalf of you and your daughter. The insurance company will not treat you fairly without a lawyer. Unfortunately, they do not care about you and only care about saving themselves money. A lawyer will get you more money then you would get on your own. It's sad but true. Act quickly and hire a lawyer.


You would be crazy to settle a case after 3 weeks and you may be doing your daughter a grave injustice. Instead, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can prevent you from doing something that you will be sorry for later.


There are degrees of sprain, just like there are degrees of burns. Three weeks is probably not enough time for medical science to determine the extent of the injury. You might be fine in a few more weeks with physical therapy, but it is also possible that you have some tear or other problem that could be long-term, or permanent, or may require surgery. The insurance company wants to pay you a nominal amount to go away. Go to an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area, and follow up with medical treatment and diagnosis. Once the full extent of your injuries have been determined, then you and your lawyer will be in a position to talk settlement.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer