I was in a car accident

Asked over 4 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

I had no insurance, the people I hit are now saying they got hurt. I had a laywer take care of the ticket but he wont do anything else and wants me to call the people who i hits lawyer. What should I do? Do I need another lawyer?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Yes. Defending a personal injury lawsuit on your own can be a real problem for the layperson. It would be recommended for you to have a lawyer, especially since you were uninsured at the time of the crash. Indeed, many judges will ask you when you appear for case calls whether you have a lawyer or not. Many judges will recommend, as do I, that you retain a lawyer to defend such a civil lawsuit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/ethics-yes...

Check with a MO lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you. I am in Chicago.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . You need a lawyer!!!! Don't call the other lawyer. You may, and likely will say something that will make it worse. Don't post about this.

Even if you pay a Lawyer $300. just to make the call and brief you don't do it your self.

If you can afford it get a lawyer for the whole case. You did good having a lawyer handle the ticket.