I was in a car acciden. I flipped over and my passenger was injured, she wants to sue me if I dont give her more cash.

Asked over 2 years ago - Garden Grove, CA

The cash is for her medical bills and days missing from work. I dont want to give her anymore $. What can I do?

Attorney answers (8)

  1. 33

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Never settle privately, or the person will come back over and over for more money. Report it to your insurance company to cover.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. 31

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Simply report this to your insurance company. If you don't have insurance or just want advise contact an attorney. Do not get involved with paying someone off, do continue to do the correct "thing",

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  3. 28

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is there any reason you have not reported this to your insurance company?

    If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and... more
  4. 26

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This sounds like pure and simple extortion. If I understand this, if you don't keep shelling out money, she will sue. Notify the insurance company ASAP. This is the classic reason that we all pay for insurance. If, for some reason you do not have the correct coverage, then take the money you have saved by not having the correct coverage and retain an attorney to (1) send correspondence demanding that the extortion stop and/or (2) to determine what the actual damages are, to make a fair offer and to draft a full, final and valid release protecting you from the extortionist.

    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only.... more
  5. 26

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Report the incident to your insurance company. This will ensure the money goes directly towards her medical expenses and everything is handled accordingly.

    Lucas, Green, & Magazine

  6. 24

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Like my colleagues I"m wondering where your insurance company was in your "facts". That's why it's mandatory, submit a claim. Private solutions are no solution.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  7. 24

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Settling a lawsuit - whether the suit has been filed or is threatened to be filed - should be done with a written settlement agreement. When a person continues to pay pay another person out of fear of that other person filing a lawsuit or doing something else unpleasant, it is often called blackmail or extortion - it's never called a "settlement." A good attorney should be able to draft a solid settlement agreement and advise as to whether settlement is even advisable.

    - Paul

    Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen&Molinaro;, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com
    "When you need a Lawyer, call the Doctor"

    ** This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

    Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker Fransen&Molinaro;... more
  8. 19

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the attorneys above. Yikes! Even worse, you paid with Cash? Probably most likely lost that money unless she is honest or get deposed about getting paid by you... eeks! Always protect yourself and have things in writing or payment by form of receipt or check...etc.

    I was going to say tell your insurance company that you paid her already for her medical bills and wage-loss already, but since you paid in cash, that's difficult to prove unless she is an honest person...etc. Maybe your insurance company can depose her about that in a deposition or get the other attorney to agree to questioning her in the present of her attorney...etc.

    Either way you should for sure report the incident to your insurance company.

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now