I was hurt in a car accident but need to go back to work, the insurance wants to settle but i don"t want to do it to fast.

Asked about 1 year ago - Noblesville, IN

that i suffer later on down the road. do i go back to work or stay off to fully recover and see it they cover everything

1. Burton A. Padove

Pro

6

Answered . You did not state that you are well enough to go back to work or that you are pain free. It would be best to consult with an attorney about the specifics of your injuries the accident and the financial stresses that the other drivers negligence has caused you.

2. Ronald Frederick Layer

Pro

6

Answered . If you are being treated by a doctor for your injuries he or she should decide if you are able to go back to work now or not. The other insurance company is not going to pay for your medical bills as you go. That comes into play after you are done treating, back to work and then yoursettlement is based on several things including your total medical bills incurred, your lost wages, and the nature of your injuries. Who is at fault is also a consideration. You should contact a personal injury lawyer locally now. Good luck.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

5

Answered . You need to retain an attorney in IN to pursue your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering damages. Try William "Bill" Hurst. (see AVVO profile).

4. Antonios Kalogerakos

4

Answered . You don't have to settle, buy having a significant gap in treatment can also effect your case. Consult an attorney ASAP so he can see all the documents and be able to better assist you!

Pro

4

Answered . Never a good idea to settle if you are still treating. Have a local lawyer look into this matter for you.

6. Christopher David Wyant

2

Answered . It is best not to consider settling your claim until you have a full understanding of your injuries and damages. I would suggest you contact a local personal injury attorney to have your questions answered.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . Rest assured, the insurance company will not want to cover everything. The sole goal of any insurance carrier is to pay you nothing or as little as possible on your claim. They are neither your friend nor your good neighbor.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Mark John Caruso

Pro

Answered . You really need to have a free consultation with a personal injury attorney in your area before you think about settling. At least get some information from the attorney. You don't need to hire the attorney, just get information. I recommend to my clients that they not settle until they have reached their pre-accident medical condition or get a determination as to permanent impairment. Only then do you know the value of your case. You should always settle the case looking backwards in time to what you have gone thru. You should NEVER settle your case looking towards the future trying to guess what you will go thru.

As a former insurance company attorney I am obligated to also tell you that you are falling into the trap of the insurance company adjuster. They are trained to get you settled before you are done treating. Don't fall for their tricks.

I understand that you may need to go back to work. You need to put food on the table. But that alone doesn't mean that you must settle. You can go back to work and still get the medical care you need.

The one thing you must watch for is the statute of limitations. You must settle or file a lawsuit before the running of the statute of limitations or your claim will be void. Read the article on my blogspot about insurance companies before you have any more conversations. I wish you the best.

That's why it is so important for you to contact an attorney TODAY for a free consultation before you make any decisions whatsoever. Good luck.